Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Recieved Gun As Gift

mrhp

Well, I have looked at the recommended sites and came up empty. I also found a 23 stamped on the extractor. It is fairly large and fancy compared to the other stamps. I also found a small plain 61 on the bolt release. I tried to disassemble the bolt but could not. I could see a small T on what I believe would be the firing pin. I will try again tomorrow to get the bolt apart.

Here is a C & P from a post I did on the Mauser Central forum a while back. Your rifle has a Buehler 2 position after market safety not the original 3 position mil safety. Take down is different.

Your safety is an aftermarket 2 position not an original 3 position.

Pull bolt from rifle.

Hook cocking piece over edge of table or workbench. Pull down on bolt body until front of cocking piece clears rear of shroud.

Slip a penney or dime between Cocking piece and shroud.

Release tension by relaxing the pull down motion. Until penney is captured by CP against rear of shroud.

Unscrew shroud/CP/ Firing pin assem. from bolt body

drill a 1/8" hole in a block of scrap wood.

Put point of FP in hole.

Push down on shroud until FP spring compresses enough to release penney. HOLD THERE.

Unscrew CP from FP. Give it a 90 degree turn to disengage. Slowly ease shroud off FP while maintaining good grip on shroud.

You're done. icon_wink.gif

See, wasn't that easy???

icon_lol.gif

JM2c

If you really, really wanted to, I think there are chemical tests to pull numbers and other imprints off of "scrubbed" metal. It would probably damage the bluing and have to be reblued, so unless you are planning that anyway, it's not worth it.

Something I saw on TV awhile ago. In a police dept lab they got a scrubbed serial number on a handgun by magnafluxing it. Might work to pull up the markings if it wasn't Hollywood magic.