Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M96 Conversions - Triggers, Shrouds And Safties, Oh My!

8uck5nort

I have a M96 Swede.

It has nice thin profile sporter barrel in 8x57js with machined front site,missing the site hood, and barrel swivel stud. I plan on shooting only US commercial or handloaded ammo and most likely will stay with 150 to 170 gr bullets with occasional 200 gr use. I am not looking to hotrod any of the loads.

Bolt has been turned down and it has been D/T with scope bases already installed for proper scope mounting. So half the work is already done when I got it.

1. I would like it to cock on open. I am not used to the cock on close. Maybe, I just need to shoot it more and save myself the trouble that makes option 2 and 3 easy. <_< Anyway if I do go this route I plan on using the Dayton Traister (DT) cock on close to cock on open kit. Anyone used this before? Pros, Cons?

2. I will be replacing the trigger. I initially planned on using a Timney or Bold w/ side saftey.

a. However, If I convert it to cock on open will the after market Timney or Bold still work? if not I have plan b.

b. I have seen the DT coc to coo kits that come with a trigger, but that means getting a low scope saftey which points to #3.

3. Rework the bolt shroud for a cleaner look.

a. I really, really, really want a winchester style saftey, but I think that this is still beyond my current tool skill set, so that is why I decided to first try a timney or bold granting it will work with #1.

b. If the Timney or Bold does not work with #1 and I have to go with 2.b. and I can't get a pre-bought shroud for a M96 with three postion saftey then I would probably install a buehler 2 postion.

c. Now if I can use a timney or bold side safety how to then deal with the bolt shroud? Can you convert a M98 bolt shroud, which I have a spare, for use on a M96? Or just buy a commercial "no saftey" shroud for a M96, if they still make one and I can find it?

d. If a M98 bolt shroud can converted they sell pre-assembled three postion M70 style saftey/shrouds can that be modified to work with my M96 or do they make them for a M96 which solves all my issues, well not "all" my issues, well, you get the picture. :)

To all of those who have gone before what say you?

4. Boyds Featherwieght thumbhole stock in nutmeg laminate that will be pillar and action bedded.

This should turn out to be a nice light and quick handling hunting rifle for deer sized game.

Depend what you want to spend but Lapour makes a real nice 3 position safety the has the gas flange and converts it to coo. As for the Dayton kit, you should be able to use a timney trigger. I use timney triggers with their enfield kit with no issues. But all in all if you want a win70 safety you will be farther ahead with the Lapour. Factor in the price of the Dayton kit and the Wisner safety kit and you are halfway to the price of the Lapour. And the Lapour is less work then the other two combined.

Don

I actually called Ed Lapour yesterday. I found his site while digging around trying to find anyone who still currently makes three or two postion safetys for the M96. It was indeed pricey, and if I had the money would do it in a heart beat and not look back. Definitely worth it. Fact would be I would have more in the COO and safety than in the rest of the rifle combined. Wisner used to make a wing 2 stage safety kit # 170k for the M96, but I exhausted all my sources trying to find one. You can still find em for the 98, but not the 96. I guess I wll have to go the boyds/timney w/ safety route, which is not a bad thing, just not what I really wanted. I have also decided to just operate the rifle in it's original COC and just deal with it. I will slick the bolt up and polish rails to make it easier to cycle. Only question remaining now is what to do with the safety. Cut it off and permantley weld in the fire position or just leave it alone? I am beginning to think just leave it alone since this rifle has iron sites. Might have my eyes shined up by a laser and get my 20/20 back on day...