Military Firearm Restoration Corner

The photo that started it all

fritz

I made an honest mistake, when I first learned how to post photos. I was switching between Bill's place and the MFRC, and forgot which one I was on when I posted it.

Maybe this is what got me banned from Bill's sites?-

user posted image

fritz

MorgansBoss said the tallest mountain picture was getting too weird,and then you post a picture like that,you pervert.Reckon I'm perverted too though,'cause it looks swell to me.Wish it was my rifle.Good work fritz.Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Just think about this fritz, had you done this maybe sixty to eighty years ago and in the russian homeland it may have been such a successful design that the rifles would have been renamed Mosin Nagant Fritz, and been official adopted as the official sniper model for the soviet empire. Don't fret about those that didn't like it, they are only jealous that the soviets did not do it. They can't bring themselves to change and so cannot except that others can. Funny to me is that the original militaries could drill the receivers for their mounts, but no one else should. Oh well, to each his own. There are indeed plenty to go around. swamp_thing

There's more than one way to skin a cat--and more than one way to scope a Mosin. In addition to the way that caused some raised eyebrows on Bill's site, here are two more ways---

user posted image

user posted image

fritz

Yeah,

They are rare and priceless allright. To me they are rarely used and priced less.

That's what you meant wasn't it?

fritz

Fritz, Between you and Swamp Thing and those custom stocks on the Mosins, I am really liking them.  Stop it already.  My wife is starting to notice the rifles in every corner.  Tinman

7555[/snapback]

Well, in that case I guess I had better get busy on the next stock I have laying in a corner. It seems that we have him where we want him fritz, let's keep the enticement coming. They do admittedly make a dang fine looking rifle in the right wood and I have no problems with their ability to shoot where pointed. swamp_thing

fritz, is that a bit of leather between the Tasco and the forestock? Could this be the first demonstration of scope bedding technique?

That one on the bottom sure is a nice looking rifle. I can't understand how you're not getting them to shoot. Have you tried 303 bullets?

Not leather, just un unfinished handguard I was fitting to it.

The bottom Mosin is a Finn with the heavy barrel, and it shoots the best of all my Mosins.

The reason I find them inaccurate as a group is because of the sorry trigger. I cannot shoot accurately unless I have a trigger that at least contributes a bit. The Mosin triggers are not conducive to accurate shooting. One must develop a certain way to overcome this inadequacy.

I never developed the technique, maybe because there were so many other fine rifles with better triggers that I simply did not have to.

fritz

I dont get them over there at crazy bills, they say that sporterzing is wrong but what is it when they post about their garands that they had converted to a "match" gun. A new stock, barrel, match parts and conversion to .308 on a garand is ok but a scope on a mosin is not.