Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Who's up for a shoot'n match?

MorgansBoss

Now... Anybody interested in a postal match? If there is interest, being the glutton for punishment I am, I'm volunteering to run it. Nothing fancy or complicated, no real prize, very few rules, just plain old fun.

If you think it'd be fun to see how your rifle stacks up against everybody else's post up. If there is interest I'll follow up with rules, an "official" target and instructions. I'll need an email address to contact you, so you'll have to be a site member!

I've put together some simple rules I will send anyone who asks. Basically its "anything goes" / scopes actual score / open sights get +5 points (as long as there is a scope in the match) / shoot as many targets as you want but submit only one per match / five shots per target / the rest is pretty much about submission rules & time frame, honesty, etc... I'm volunteering so it only costs a postage stamp and your ammo to enter. Results will be posted here.

I miss anything? We got four so far including myself. That's enough for me to schedule the first match! I'll put together the date and send the rules & targets in the next 24hours. If you've expressed interest, watch your email for details!

I'll go for it.

I once placed in the top ten in Bill's postal match years ago (before I was banned).

If I recall, it was the open sight military rifle caliber match, is this going to allow ALL rifles or just military rifles?

We all know that Bill only allowed military surplus rifles. You aren't going to do that, are you?

fritz

May I suggest three categories?

Sporterized glass, sporterized iron sights, stock milsurps?

Each rifle to have a military receiver or action?

NRA official 100-yard small bore rifle targets?

flaco

Don't know what to do about military glass--sniper rifles--but these are so priced out of the market not certain anyone would want to use one.

Count me in.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Also-

Do we add or deduct for handloads?

flaco

6450[/snapback]

In your case, we deduct. laugh.gif Especially if that rifle shoots as good as your last outing.

Seriously, I like the catagories. I wouldn't be opposed to a fourth, factory rifle any sights. No one says we have to compete in all. Any ammo is ok with me, oh, except again in your case.

Do I have to shoot the 100yd target at 100 yds? rolleyes.gif

Z-

I'm flattered--Thanks!!!--but as far as we know I've only been able to find the target off a bench.

I'd try offhand--I've been humiliated before--but would be most comfortable with bench (sandbags only, no fancy holders), sitting, or prone.

Slings or not?

flaco

And yes, we have to shoot the 100 yd target at 100 yards. LOL.

I think too that there needs to be categories. There is no way iron sights will compete with a scope.

6480[/snapback]

I propose the same catagories Flaco did:

1) Sporterized glass

2) Sporterized iron sights

3) Stock milsurps

4) Production rifle (Factory) Any sights. Let's keep this one factory, no tricked out Heavy Barrel 700's and the like just to keep it fair.

What do you all think?

Or, we could simplify and just say scoped and non scoped?

OK guys, I stuck my neck out and volunteered to do this. The one criteria I put on it before making that decision was to keep it simple so I don't have to spend hours tabulating scores. Also, what I had in mind was just friendly interaction, not "competition" proper. You've made valid points though and I concede to separating scopes from open sights. Make it much more complicated though and the "fun factor" begins to diminish.

What do you say?

Scoped and non scoped is fine by me. I don't see the need to make it too tough either. I think it is a great way to get the chance to go out and shoot a few rounds that we often would put off otherwise. Simple fun to me. Been needing something to get me motivated to try a few rifles out. swamp_thing