Military Firearm Restoration Corner

working on a turk

ken98k

Test fired today! Fired 3 rounds via a string on the trigger then one from from my shoulder. No problems. I made a short video but it's too big to post here.

Now it's just a matter of installing a new sporter style trigger, wing safety, and fitting it all in  new stock.

• 6 months later...

Ken,

Do you have a picture your setup is for machining off the charger lip? How did you decide to remove the boo boo's? Since you are coating the gun I guess it doesn't matter how you are filling it. 

I found it very interesting that you rethreaded the action to take Remington barrel threads rather than re-thread the Remington Barrel. Was there a technical reason you chose to go that way?

Dale

6 hours ago, dwade7551 said:

I was wondering if it was a chamber wall thickness concern.

Don was correct regarding my concerns for thin chamber walls.

This is the fixture i used for removing the stripper clip hump https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/receiver-contouring-fixture-prod985.aspx I never had any problem with it before. I filled in the boo boo with epoxy putty, then painted over it.

12 hours ago, dwade7551 said:

Ken,

I found it very interesting that you rethreaded the action to take Remington barrel threads rather than re-thread the Remington Barrel. Was there a technical reason you chose to go that way?

Dale

Quite a while back when remington take off barrels were cheap and plentiful, I picked up this stainless 300wm barrel with the idea of rethreading it to fit a sr turk action.

About that time, there was a was heated debate going on regarding the safety of this course of action so,  I said why not open up the receiver instead of reducing the barrel shank diameter.  Well no one offered a good reason not to do it other than it was a big job.

so over the next 12 or so years I collected or constructed the tooling and fixtures and finally got up nerve enough to attempt the feat.  It's almost done now. 

Been following this thread for a long time. I’m really looking forward to photos of the finished project and range report. I’ve said it here numerous times. I’m really envious of the skills, know how and above all the patience I have observed in this group. With new in the box bolt actions selling cheap and mil-surp rifles drying up. I hope the rifle building art doesn’t ever end.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, ken98k said:

Don was correct regarding my concerns for thin chamber walls.

This is the fixture i used for removing the stripper clip hump https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/bench-vise-blocks/receiver-contouring-fixture-prod985.aspx I never had any problem with it before. I filled in the boo boo with epoxy putty, then painted over it.

Thanks Ken. I was wondering if you were using the brownells fixture or, given your obvious machining skills you had made something up. I enjoyed the pictures of the spider you made for rethreading the action.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay, finally got it put together!  Still needs a little metal finishing but it feeds and shoots. 

I'm going to estimate it at 7 lbs with scope. Not the prettiest rifle but very functional, and it's been one heck of a leaning experience.

I'll test it out for accuracy this weekend.

300win.jpg

300win2.jpg

COOL!! Ok it won’t win a beauty contest but as pictured a might prettier than the plastic stocked cheapies common today. Like I previously mentioned. I hope the art of building bolt action rifles doesn’t stop. Guess I’m getting bitter in my old age. Seems the best projects currently by the young’uns are AR-15’s with every kind of gizmo imaginable that can be adapted to the rails. I’m still trying to figure out the use of a light/laser combo on an AR-15 to shoot a 1-200 yard target in daylight. Seems like I see a few every time I go to the outdoor public range. 

No telling where it will be 20 years from now since the last of the Eastern European Mausers have dried up. Even if a cache of thousands of Mausers showed up in a forgotten and obscure Hungarian village. The prices of any mil-slurp rifles of any kind today, Mausers especially are beyond ridiculous. Priced a Nagant lately?? Been a few years since I attended a real gun show but I did come across a few reasonably priced unfinished projects. Maybe more will begin to show up as the incomplete sporter projects get passed down to millennials. Hopefully before the millennials have a chance to end all massacres, suicides and gang crime by trading them for a $25 Walmart or Starbucks gift card. 

8 hours ago, AzRednek said:

COOL!! Ok it won’t win a beauty contest

I really regret painting the ferns on the buttstock but I guess that can be fixed.

So here's what it is-

• Turkish k-kale receiver, bored and re-threaded to 1 1/16 - 16
  • 24" Remington stainless barrel in .300 win mag
  • Six Enterprises ultra-light fiberglass stock
  • Pachmayr 500B recoil pad
  • Timney trigger for kar98 w/ safety
  • FN style bolt shroud 
  • Leopold 1 piece base w/ low rings
  • Tasco world Class 3x9
  • Wheeler Engineering bake on coating on receiver and bottom metal

Went to the range today. I was getting about 2" groups at 100 yards with Federal factory ammo. 

I'm pretty certain a better shooter could get much better results. 

Just curious about the bullet weight? I read an article on the net awhile back about the 30 cal mags. The author claimed 1-12 twist was more accurate for 180 on up and 1-10 for 165 on down. He claimed 30 mag rifles made for the European market were 1-12 and 1-10 for USA. The majority of his comparisons were 300 H&H and 308 Norma. 

22 hours ago, ken98k said:

I was shooting 180's.

I couldn't tell you what the twist is.

Chances are good it’s 1/10 but as long as it shoots good it’s not important. I never checked checked it on my Voere Mauser factory chambered in 308 Norma Mag is by far more accurate with heavier bullets. Years ago I worked up hand loads with 165 and 200gr slugs. The 200 clustered while 150 and 165’s opened up on paper. I even tried 220 but the recoil was unbearable. At the time and possibly still in effect. A 220gr slug is minimum weight of any caliber required by Az G&F for Bison hunting. I never got drawn.

• 11 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 4:38 PM, dwade7551 said:

Thanks Ken. I was wondering if you were using the brownells fixture or, given your obvious machining skills you had made something up. I enjoyed the pictures of the spider you made for rethreading the action.

I used 1/4" bolts in the spider but have vibration problems to contend with. I will increase them to  3/8-32 before I use it again.