Military Firearm Restoration Corner

25.06 custom - Mauser 98 or Springfield action?

Denver

Hi,

I inherited a 25.06 rifle, custom built in the late 1960s.    There have been varying opinions on whether it is built on a Mauser 98 or Springfield 1903 action.  Can someone answer that question?   Also, are there any quality conversion options that would allow for the floorplate of the magazine to drop down for easier unloading?

Thanks,

Denver

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3812.JPG

Welcome to the board, Denver.

I'm going with Springfield.  Here's one for sale on Gunbroker:

pix518656797.jpg

I'm not a '03 guy, so I dunno about the floorplate, but some googling should turn something up, or maybe one of the guys here has done it.

Yow-za.  That's a lot of change for a floor plate.  I'm sure it is worth it for the piece, but still, a lot of change for a floor plate.  Maybe you can find someone to add one to what you have for less, but, as with anything today, government overhead makes everything more expensive and by the time you're done with it, you would probably be close to that.

Maybe keep an eye out on gunbroker and ebay for the bottom metal and you might find something useful from someone "restoring" one that has been sporterized.  When your rifle was modified, they were probably selling for well under a hundred dollars at hardware stores.  Today an unmodified one goes for a thousand. 

They are nice units. I used one on a 404 project. That is pretty much going rate for a custom unit and they are the only game in town for the 1903. To put it is perspective Swift/Blackburn and Weibe both charge about $500 for mauser units. I don’t think either does 1903s. 

Don

Thanks for the replies.  The gun is mainly for hunting or just recreational shooting, so I can easily get by without spending the $500 or customizing the floorplate.  i just inquired, in case there was an easy and inexpensive solution...

The only cheap one made was years ago. Someone made an alloy one, Parker Hale or b line. Either way they come up on eBay every now and then. What I do is search there, save the search, and turn notifications on. If one pops up for sale they will email you. I found a couple odd things years later that way. 

Don