Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Hot Diggity, got a Tommy Gun!

FC

Oh boy, I finally swallowed hard and bought a 1927 A1 Tommy Gun! 20 round stick mag. $800, no tax, at the PX. I told my wife it's not good to leave me alone! I haven't bought a gun in a long time. Snail drum cheapest price I see is $231, but way cheaper than buying the $1400, same gun, but includes snail drum.

I'm not having much luck trying to resize the picture to 10.24 kb.

My dad was a freight conductor. He had to verify the freight charges were paid for by the shipper or collect from receiver. The Thompson stocks were shipped from a Canadian factory with freight charges to be paid by the USA factory that was to receive the shipment. Word was sent to Chicago that the USA manufacture was refusing the shipment. The Canadians didn't want it back and refused to pay the return freight bill. My dad was instructed to get rid of it as the railroad needed the rail car. When dad asked what to do with the freight he was told I don't care get rid of it. Dad made a deal with a guy with a large horse drawn wagon. They unloaded the stocks then carried it into Chicago and sold it all as firewood. It was sold all you can carry for 15-75 cents, dad said the price was determined by how well the buyer was dressed. Im assuming the USA factory refused the shipment after the govt canceled orders for Thompsons and replaced it with the much cheaper Greasegun. 

That's cool, FC.  Note that according to the article in Firearms News recently, the drum mags are kind of iffy for reliability, and there is a super-special what that they have to be loaded or you can break them.  Something like load a few, skip a few, etc. 

3 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Also, "screaming deal!!!"

About 200 less than one I saw at a gun shop about 6 months ago. If I remember right they wanted 250 for 50rd drum. Sales clerk said they could order a 100 rd drum. Can't remember the exact price but it was ridiculous, I think it was close to 500.

Hard to believe in the late 70's a legal full auto used Thompson ran about 400-600, new about 700 and change. Friend bought one about 77 or 78 with drum mag and several stick mags and various accessories like a Calvary pouch that held two drums, British paratrooper  canvas carry case and other stuff I don't recall for 900. It was a used civilian model, no prison, police or military stampings but appeared to be in mint condition. After he died his son his son sold it for over 40 G's a few years ago.

I intended to buy a  full auto H&R Resing from the same class 3 dealer for 200 but unfortunately my priorities at the time were carburetors, mag wheels, big tires and pussy. I never came back with the $100 deposit and 200 for ATF stamp the dealer wanted up front to begin paperwork. 

9 hours ago, FC said:

I think back in the 70s most people thought you could not ever buy a machine gun. Also, the economy was just horrible. Still, very cheap!

$800, and no tax for the Tommy Gun- yeah, I'm not complaining!

You did very good on the price. Most I've seen at dealers run into the high nines and with sales tax puts it over a grand. I'm still trying to trade for one. Ad still up but he hasn't responded to yesterday's email. Hope he hasn't lost interest in my offer. 

On 9/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, FC said:

PX had the two one day. I hope you get it.

I flipped up the peep sight and hit a bit left. At 75 yards I got about a 3 inch spread. Trigger pull is heavy. I read the barrel is longer than original.

The barrel has to be longer than original. The original length would make it a short barreled rifle in ATF's eyes. Looks like my deal died as he won't answer email but his ad it still up on Armslist. 

Kahr has a forum for their guns, including Thompsons. There's complaints about the trigger pull, which someone said is 9 lbs., and failure to fire. I had a fire issue once, and yes, the trigger pull is way too hard. Not sure if I can safely improve that. Seems to be no information about that subject. They did say Auto-Ordnance is good about their warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem, and maybe a solution. I cut the stock a bit, but now the steel buttplate, which is curved a couple of ways, is too small. I think the only decent solution I have is to oxyacetylene weld iron around the border of the original buttplate, then grind it into shape. Thoughts?

I assume the old plastic grind to fit butt plates may still be available. I did one back in the 70's. Stick the plate into boiling water for about 30-60 seconds then press and bend it to fit curvature of the stock. Finally sand the over size plate to fit. I was also refinishing the butt stock on an old single shot 12 ga so it was easy to belt sand plate and wood together. Do not have the slightest recollection where I got it, most likely from a Shotgun News vendor. Somebody like Brownells or Midway might have something similar. 

The current one is steel, and curves at the top and bottom. I thought about getting brass plate, heating it with the torch, then bending it quickly with a form made from the cut-off portion off the buttstock. It would burn the wood quickly. I'll look again at plastics. Stainless would be nice, but I don't know how it would look after heating it with oxy-acetylene?