Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Identification

dan8312005

The double trigger is set up to be a set trigger (the back one) and a hair trigger (the front one.)  The set trigger has a good strong pull and just sets the trigger up for the hair trigger.  The hair trigger is, as the name implies, an extremely light trigger.  It will go off just barely touching it.  Great for accuracy, not good for combat.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been planning to post more pics of this build but my phone up and died , so I cant get any pics right now. I got some Grey stain to do the stock and hand guard . After I got it home I realized what the guy at the store gave me was a stain/poly product. Never had any luck with these ,but tried it anyways...and really don't like the result. Looks more like a grey paint than a stain.. Makes the stock look plastic... so.. unless i can find something else that I'm satisfied with , probably just gonna go with tru oil. I got some Perma blu , turned out great. Couple spots to touch up. But very satisfied with the results. Will try to post some pics soon. 

• 2 months later...

I had to take a break from the Mauser. Had to have hip surgery 1/31 and am still recovering. Doing better though. Finally up and moving around without assistance of walker or cane. But am gonna get back to the Mauser soon. Currently I'm off work for a little while longer. This build has inspired me to want to do another. Really learned alot through this site and by doing. I really appreciate the assistance that the folks here have given. Considering for the next build ... maybe an AR15. But gotta get back to work to afford that one.... but its looking very interesting to me. Looking at maybe buying the lower receiver then a kit to put everything else together . Any recommendations?

I've built a couple and helped some friends build them.  AR's are like Lego's for men.  Anderson lowers have worked out for me and are very reasonable.  Unless you want something with skulls cast into them or some other weird variation.  Midway runs specials on complete M4 uppers in the $240 range or less.  I don't think you can buy the parts for that, if that's what you are looking to build.  Or if you want a complete do-it-your-way, piece it together.  I like the Stoner lower parts sets.  Good quality and reasonable.  They go on sale at Midway too. Be careful of super bargain bin priced items.  I have a 300BO upper that I got at a gun show for practically nothing, relatively speaking, and it's been a challenge to get it to run right.  I have a thread on here mentioning it.  If Brownells or Midway sell it, it's going to be a quality part. Keep an eye on them for sales.

I suggest starting with a "theme" in mind.  There are so many possibilities/variations (see "Lego's") that you can get a bit overwhelmed.  So, pick something like M4, varmiter, "old school," pistol, etc. and go from there.

Tools wise, you will need one of the combination tools that sell for $20 +/-, and a vice block set is real handy. The upper vice block set I have came with a sliding tool thing to make sure the barrel nut is tightened so that the gas tube clears. It's kinda optional, as you can look through or use a drill bit.  Some quality pin punches make it go together easier, but nothing fancy is really needed. 

And I hope the hip works out well for you.  Do like the Doc and PT say.

Haven't built an AR myself but I've been thinking about it. Two friends have built AR's and both claim it's pretty simple. One friend built a second one saying with a bit of exaggeration. He could have built the second blind folded. Years ago while it was still legal a friend built a full auto AR in Vietnam Nam M-16 configuration. For some strange reason neither him or a couple local gun smiths could figure out why it ran perfectly in the full auto mode but consistently jammed both FTE and FTF on semi.

Might also mention my former friend lost it along with a very valuable collection after being arrested at home for cocaine possession. His wife after filing for divorce attempted to get the guns as community property. Court said no, ordered their destruction but cops did return several thousand rds of ammo. I know I'm drifting off subject. He also lost a Russian sniper rifle smuggled in through Canada. Don't know what it was worth but did see my bud turn down a ten grand cash offer for it at a Los Angeles gun show. 

Back on subject. I've watched numerous YouTube videos on building an AR from an incomplete lower. Doesn't appear to be difficult but in a couple videos the authors mentioned to not be tight fisted on the bolt assy. They claimed the bargain bolts will cause problems. Being myself, a cheapskate. I'd likely opt for something in between the high and low dollar. I would also go with the conventional, tried and true Stoner gas system. Just my opinion, replacing the gas tube with an operating rod seems to be over kill. So what in my mind that the new systems run cleaner and cooler. Complete AR uppers appear to be more common, are costing less and best of all paperless. 

If I were younger and healthier, I'd also be considering building a 1911 and Glock. Hope it never happens but I fear some day paperless guns will be by vey desirable.