Military Firearm Restoration Corner

St. Bubba’s

FC

• 3 weeks later...

My home is somewhere between 150 - 200 yrs old. Is the planking on the walls and ceiling tongue and groove? We have something very similar in our walls. Tough stuff... will burn a blade up trying to saw through it. We also had some old wallpaper...lol.. cant believe the patterns people liked back then , some really hideous stuff . lol. Gonna be a beautiful place when your done though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 6:04 AM, FC said:

Really slow. We’re paying as we go. I’ve been going twice a year to work on it. The contractor who does some of the work seems to have us as dead last priority. Right now I’m blowing insulation.

I've had some luck with contractors with paying as they go. I get written estimates and have them break down the cost to each job. When they finish a task I pay only for the specific job. Learned the hard way to never pay up front for material. I get a materials list, buy it giving me the ownership. They seem to be a bit more anxious to complete the job. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, FC said:

The 30% ammonia removed it, but it burns!

Haven't tried it myself. About ten years ago I hired a couple workers to spray a house. I don't know how but one guy's face was covered with latex paint. He smeared cheap dollar store margarine on his face then wiped it off and paint came off with the margarine. He repeated it and the second time his face was completely clean. In broken English he said he uses margarine so it wouldn't burn his eyes or nose. 

As I mentioned, it was latex. Can only speculate how well the method will work with oil based paint or even latex based primer like Kills. 

Gotta know, which circus freak side show did you find that painter???? Just kidding!! Next time the disposable painter's hoods are pretty cheap at the biggie hardware stores. The hood and face masks allow use of a filter mask underneath. At worse you might get some paint around eye sockets. If you don't use a filter mask you might as I did get some paint trapped on nasal hair. 

I have a 3M full-face respirator for the B-I-N. Didn’t help all that much. I got blasted because I thought the paint sprayer motor died, and I was going to put the hose on my brother’s sprayer. 

Thanks for the margarine idea. It won’t work on shellac-based primer though.

• 1 month later...