Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1st one

ken98k

My oldest son just got his 1st buck. 

He was hunting Michigan's upper peninsula with a rifle I built for him a couple years ago. The rifle is a 308win, built on a mexican small ring 98 with a light barrel.

1079238206_1stone2018.thumb.jpg.e9f48f40cc887b68ac1bd56806076155.jpg

Here's a photo of the rifle right after I completed it.

1154463982_308mex.JPG.c0c470d0c25040e94c35a1265339287a.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/23/2018 at 8:29 AM, FC said:

Good for him!

I agree!! Never been there but heard the Michigan upper peninsula is a hunter's paradise. Back in the early 70's I worked briefly with a part time retiree. During WW2 he ran a hunter's lodge there. Making a long story short. The lodge had full time professional hunters. He told me wealthy Detroit men would show there up with young women. They would pay the hunters to get a deer, bear or anything even geese and ducks while they were shacked up with the women in the lodge. They could go home with game cleaned and butchered by the lodge to account for the time away from home.

My co worker bragged about once getting a hundred dollar tip which was big bucks in the 40's. He ratted out what he believed was a private detective that was spying on the visitors. 

Well, given that it's called the Upper Peninsula, chances of a nearby lake are pretty good.  :P.

I want a T-Shirt from Hessel, MI, right there when you get to the UP.  X-Large.  Something like "Welcome to Hessel."  I think it's a wide spot in the road.

My friends were from the UP.  "You-Pers."  They'd tell stories of walking home, drunk, and having to be careful on certain parts of the streets because the bears were out raiding trash cans.

21 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Well, given that it's called the Upper Peninsula, chances of a nearby lake are pretty good.  :P.

I want a T-Shirt from Hessel, MI, right there when you get to the UP.  X-Large.  Something like "Welcome to Hessel."  I think it's a wide spot in the road.

My friends were from the UP.  "You-Pers."  They'd tell stories of walking home, drunk, and having to be careful on certain parts of the streets because the bears were out raiding trash cans.

A friend of mine goes there on a regular basis. He in-laws live near there.  I’ll see what he can find. There is a bar there so maybe something.  It’s not big. And it is yoopers!

Don

20 hours ago, FC said:

Why’s the herd down?

Hard winters, wolves, and crappy deer management. Still lots of snow on the ground today where I go. The southern up isn’t as bad. We are about 2 miles from Lake Superior. I haven’t deer hunted without snow in about 20 years.  Some times over 2 foot on the ground. Most the yooper serious deer hunters come down state where the farm fields raise the big one. But I like the deep woods. More traditional deer camp.