Military Firearm Restoration Corner

W.T.F. I'll never get this 8x57 built

rdm1962

I've been working on a Yugo in 8x57 for about 2 years now. Long story short the bolt was sportered when I bought the rifle. It was all original other than that, numbers didn't match. I was going to use the military barrel but the head space to great. I bought a barrel from E. R. Shaw and moved on. Today I screwed the Shaw barrel on and test checked the head space. W.T.F. closes on Go, No Go and field gauge. I pulled the bolt from one of my as issued Yugos. The Go gauge wouldn't close. I've got a FUBAR bolt. Do I have any other options than get a replacement bolt? We all know how hard it is to find Yugo bolts. Do I sell every thing off but the barrel and start over on a new action?  

How’s the bolt look? Is the barrel safety breeched. If not you shouldn’t be using a Yugo bolt anyway. If the bolt is original I could probably swap it out for you. But I am curious about the safety breech as I won’t use a Yugo action without it unless the bolt is swapped with a 1922 or 1903 bolt. 

Don

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, donmarkey said:

How’s the bolt look? Is the barrel safety breeched. If not you shouldn’t be using a Yugo bolt anyway. If the bolt is original I could probably swap it out for you. But I am curious about the safety breech as I won’t use a Yugo action without it unless the bolt is swapped with a 1922 or 1903 bolt. 

Don

Don,

The bolt looks great. It looks to have been very well done. It's not matching numbers to the receiver. I've tried 6 bolts from my collection of as issued Yugo's. None will close on the go gauge. The barrel doesn't have the safety breach. I read some place ( don't remember were ) that it wasn't necessary. I defiantly respect your knowledge on the need for one. Sailormilan2 has a Yugo bolt that might work. He's sending it to me to try. If it doesn't work I'll contact you to see if we can do a swap. Thanks Ralph  

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to update everyone one what is going on with this build. This action had a sporter bolt when I bought it,. The bolt was from a small ring, not a yugo. This might be why I got the entire rifle for $75 at a gun show. I was a great deal so I only looked for receiver damage and not at the sporter bolt. Thus the head space issue. Sailormilan2 donated me a Yugo bolt that had the handle welded on wrong, Thanks Dale. I sent the whole deal off to Clemson to correct and finish ream. I sorted out all wrong parts and now just need to get it to the range. I'll post pictures after I get a chance to shoot it. Thank you to everyone for their help and advise.

I'll get some measurement of the small ring bolt and get them up as soon as time permits. We'll figure out what action they came from and what to do with it from there.  

I gave a 257 Roberts project that's been sitting for several years. I inletted stock wrong around mag assembly. I worked on it needing to keep busy as I was going through Chemo. After realizing I forked up I just can't get the ambition to finish it. Also Timney sold me the wrong trigger but the queer that Timney's son sold out to refused to exchange it. The new owner unlike the founder and his son claimed they are no longer doing installations. One of these days!!!