Military Firearm Restoration Corner

429 Desert Eagle

Dr.Hess

• 2 months later...

Got a chance to play with this some.  My automotive maintenance projects are more or less at a standstill at the moment.

I loaded up some test rounds.

429DE_44mag.thumb.jpg.766770704ae2c0f424c92d9fcb1d1b48.jpg

And dug the boom stick out:

429DE.thumb.jpg.e20b435f1e92351c3949f2c4d4ae9d83.jpg

It's kinda large for a handgun.  Anyway, if ya'll will recall, the factory loadings are:

240GR 1600 FPS

210GR 1750 FPS.

I set up my new chrony.  It read every other round, for some reason.  The destructions say I probably need more side screen or the sun or the trees were causing problems.  I have trees, and the sun was kinda behind my target tree stump.   I loaded up 2 ea rounds of Win 296 with my 240GR powder coated boolits.  The maximum load I found for Win296 in 44MAG with a 240Gr bullet was 25Gr, with velocities listed at anywhere between 1400 and 1550, with no mention of barrel length. So, I figgered 26Gr would be a good place to start.

Observed loads:    
240Gr cast powder coated 

Powder:  Win296    
Charge    Velocity    ft lbs
26Gr         1283         877
28Gr         1396        1038
29Gr         1508        1212

The recoil difference between 26 and 28 GR was noticeable.  That 29Gr at 1500 FPS is interesting.  1200 ft lbs is kinda getting up there for a handgun.  Also getting close to the factory load of 1600FPS.  Karl, I mean Zen Master, your program said a max of 30.5Gr of 296.  That would probably put the velocity right at where the factory stuff is claiming, if not a tad bit over.  30 is probably going to be right around 1600.  At 28 and 29 Gr, recoil was "stout."  Sort of on par with the 50AE.  Accuracy is a bit down over the 44MAG, but that's on me.  The 44MAG barrel I can shoot one handed and it will function.  These monster loads take two hands, and me pulling back hard on the bottom of the frame with my left hand as hard as I can to try to get it to function.

I also had to run the loaded bullet through the sizing die.  The brass was a tad thick in the neck after being swagged down to 0.429 from 0.500.  For whatever reason, the 26 and 28Gr locked up fine, but the 29Gr wouldn't fully chamber. I don't think the charge had anything to do with it, just luck of the draw, I guess.  I seated the boolits in one operation to 1.6", then backed the seating adjuster out and screwed the die in to crimp in a second operation.  Seating and crimping at the same time with a cast powder coated boolit doesn't work too well and tends to scrape some powder coating off. I wish they had a factory crimp die.  Oh well.  I did ask them to make one and they said they'd put it on their suggestions list.