Military Firearm Restoration Corner

trim down magazine?

ken98k

I started inletting a light weight stock yesterday and it appears to be not deep enough for standard 98 bottom metal. It seems like I'm going to have to shorten the depth on the magazine. Has anyone ever run into this problem?  

Yes, I do have a counter bore, never thought about that aspect but, I guess I would have run up against it once I start cutting.

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not likely still available but I do recall seeing some Mauser after market trigger housings with a shorter mag well. I saw them way back in the 80's sold by a gun show vendor that also regularly ran ads in Shotgun News. It might have been Sherwood or one of the eastern New Jersey mail order businesses that often showed up in Phx. I just can't remember whom. Before KKKfornia and Orange County shut down the then largest gun show in the nation. Phx would schedule a show a weekend prior to the Great Western show to attract out of state vendors on their way to the LA area.