Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finally finished

I finally got my two latest builds parkerised to finish them.

A standard 98 in .257 Roberts, using an Adams and Bennett barrel. Sako trigger. Light stock.

A Yugo action, with a Parker Hale barrel in .243 Win. Dark stock.

I used Allegheny Arsenal parkerising. I really like it. Easy to use. But it definitely needs to be up to temperature.

20200306_172338.jpg

20200306_172357.jpg

Way to cool!! Myself and the rest us I’m sure are looking forward to a range report.

I’m especially curious about the 257 Roberts. Years ago I started with either a Turk or 98/22 Mauser, can’t remember which. Installed an A&B 257 Bob barrel, had a local smith add irons then things went haywire fitting the so-called 90% inletted stock from Midway. Being to much of a cheapskate to buy a commercial mag assembly the stock was cut for. I attempted to fit the military mag assy. I had just got out after a lengthy hospital stay. Nerves were bad and I grew impatient. I thought I had it in just right but the bolt holes didn’t line up. I stuck the project aside over 10 years ago and never got back to it. I was building it for my granddaughter but I lost interest in it after discovering she is a left handed shooter. I bought her a lefty Savage instead. One of these days I’ll get back to it. Either the barreled action needs to go forward or the mag assy go backwards just slightly, 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch.  

Back then 10+ years ago in the good old days. Members in this group were either praising or cussing the 257 A&B barrels. Hope you got a good one. I just can’t recall the price but Midway had a package deal on the barrels and stocks. I sprang for two, trading one off several years ago.

i also ran into another road block. Timney sold me the wrong trigger. It was about the time Timney’s son sold out. The flamer that took it over refused to exchange it. The prick wouldn’t even take the time to tell me what the trigger was for. I think it’s for an 03 Springfield.

Ahh 3:15 AM and I’m finally getting sleepy!! 

AzRedNeck, initial test firing if the .257 wasn't great. But, in my defense, I was using Nosler E-tip solid copper bullets, which are too long for the 10" twist. I've since gotten some of the Hornady GMX which are shorter.

On your .257, if the action was a Turk, was it the early 1903? They're weird. Standard length in the outside, but intermediate length bolt. A standard mag should fit. But there will be an overhang of the feed ramp, unless it's removed, and you will probably have to remove wood from the front of the magazine box so it will go into the stock.

On this one, I'm using a Parker Hale aluminum trigger housing/mag. It takes a 1/2# off the weight. The stock is a Fajen, with lightening cuts in the barrel channel and holes drilled in the buttstock.

Unfortunately, A&B barrels tend to have a heavier barrel profile. Though I turned this one down a bit.

I'm using Allegheny Arsenal black park. I really like it. Smooth finish, and takes about 1/3 as much park solution in the water.

The park on the .243 ended up a little lighter in color. I don't know if that was because the temp wasn't fully up to normal park temp, or the steel alloy.

I can’t recall whom but several years ago somebody raved about his 257 A&B barrel’s accuracy Improvement after using what I think was named Tubbs bullets. If I remember right the bullets are abrasive starting out coarse and ending with fine. Supposed to smooth out and polish the barrel’s interior. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is a bit refreshing seeing Mauser projects again. Today I consider it more of an art than simply a project project. The days of slapping a sporter stock on an 8MM Mauser and calling it a sporterized Mauser are long gone. If not for the obnoxious safety there may have been some real sporters built from Mosin Nagants before their prices went crazy. I’d really like to see another Enfield project. Been several years, I think it might have been Z1R or another former member. Built a beautiful 375 H&H on a US Enfield.

What got me hooked on sporters years ago. A Elk hunting party of six and one not hunting tag along. The only successful hunter that weekend was a Los Angeles lawyer. He downed his elk at what he claimed was a headshot of more than 200 yards with iron sights. He got it with a sporterized Siamese Mauser in 45/70. Don’t know if he exaggerated the distance but it was a clean headshot. 

When I first started attending gun shows in the early 70’s. I saw some real beauties built on Mannlichers. I can recall one in particular I was infatuated with and would have bought it if not for the oddball European caliber. The stock and bluing was gorgeous, it had three blade express sights and what got me excited was my first experience with double triggers. 

Keep up the good work Sailorman, looking forward to seeing your next!!

• 1 month later...