Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Finish on work bench

spec4 e4

• 3 weeks later...

The work benches I built when I had the uniform store I put a sheet of Formica on top. I belt sanded the top smooth then used a router to true up the edges. Far from a perfect looking fit like a kitchen counter top with rounded edges but the smooth surface was easy to brush clean. I kept the tops looking good by spraying on Pledge then wiping clean. I didn’t have to worry about wood dust, splinters or dirt getting into cloth material I cut. Probably wouldn’t work to well though if you might be hammering on it. I bought a used blind stitching machine with a Cedar wood bench top. According to the lady I bought it from. The rock hard wood surface she claimed was from her husband spraying on Thompson’s exterior deck seal. The finish was dull and cloudy but rock hard. 

• 10 months later...

Form my woodworking bench, I use polymerised   tung oil. Same stuff I use to hand rub my stocks with. My reloading bench has either porch paint or a urethane, forgot which. If I was using oil based Varathane, nicer than the water based stuff,, I would do two coats wait for it to be completely dry, then sand with 220 grit and use foam roller or foam paint brush for the final coat.