Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lg ring tap

ken98k

I’ll loan ya mine Ken , it has a very small chip in the very beginning of the first thread so you have to watch starting it a little closer than you normally would but it works fine as long as you start it straight.

If you want it let me know be glad to send it to you , Jim.

• 1 month later...

Ken - did you use Jim's tap?  I have Brownell's bottom tap - works great, happy to send it your way. 

BTW: I bought a tap mandrel from PTG a few years back and learned that it's not with the trouble as it won't finish the last few threads.  After that lesson I bought the bottom tap, then called Dave Manson and had him make a cutter for the c-ring and and a specially bushed cutter for the action indicating rod so I can face off the receiver perpendicular to the bore centerline.  My gunsmith gets less business every year. :)  I have used the tap mandrel to start cutting the first 3-4 threads and then finished the threads with the bottom tap - works well enough.

16 hours ago, AckleyFan said:

Ken - did you use Jim's tap?  I have Brownell's bottom tap - works great, happy to send it your way. 

BTW: I bought a tap mandrel from PTG a few years back and learned that it's not with the trouble as it won't finish the last few threads.  After that lesson I bought the bottom tap, then called Dave Manson and had him make a cutter for the c-ring and and a specially bushed cutter for the action indicating rod so I can face off the receiver perpendicular to the bore centerline.  My gunsmith gets less business every year. :)  I have used the tap mandrel to start cutting the first 3-4 threads and then finished the threads with the bottom tap - works well enough.

Yes, I do have Jim's tap. I haven't had a chance tp use it yet though.