Military Firearm Restoration Corner

scope mount and rings

spec4 e4

What type do you use for sporting?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What type do you use for sporting?

• Redfield 1 pcs
    • Redfield 2 pcs
    • Weaver
    • Weaver GranSlam
    • Leupold 1 pcs
    • Leupold 2 pcs
    • B-Square 1 pcs
    • Other 1 pcs
    • Other 2 pcs

I have use B-square 1 pcs, Weaver 2pcs, and Redfield 1 & 2 pcs mounts. I found that I like the B-square 1 pcs but the bottom of it. I have taken some off at an angle. If you look at the mount up right from the front. I removed the left side and lower the right just a tad. the other are great to use but I found that you are going to remove the scope alot, it is best to use the Weaver style so you don't loose the base and ring connections.

spec.4

I've used all of the two piece designs mentioned. I don't much care for one piece bases on a field gun. Depends on the gun I'm building, what I have on hand, and what the application is. For weight savings I like the weaver 2 pc. I really like the Talley rings. Soon I'll be making my own bases for the Talley Rings. Just stay the heck away from the Simmons or Tasco weaver style stuff.

Z1R, I am using Weaver name brand mounts, most of the time I up grade on the rings. If you removed the charging hump of the military mauser, can you FN mounts? I was thinking of using an two pcs Leupold quck release mount system. it only fit FN.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=592120

spec.4

Project #1 received a set of Leupold two piece M98 bases and they work well. They are not conducive to easy scope removal however.

Project #2 received a one piece B-Square FN style mount. Its a bit of a hassle and takes some getting used to, but I plan to use my 30-06 in a variety of situations and like the ability to remove/switch scopes around easily. I also spent the extra money to have the sights clocked to 12:00 on this rifle's barrel and it helps to be able to easily remove the scope should I decide to use them. This set up also received a set of B-Square rings.

Project #3 will receive a set of Leupold FN style two piece mounts as I doubt very seriously that the scope will be coming off the 7x57 very much.

Project #4 will get Leupold QD two piece mounts whenever I get around to removing the charger hump and stoning the action...just in case I need to take the scope off the 8x68s for some reason or another. I also plan to have open sights on this rifle as well.

That's all I have planned presently. Once I'm into the 8x68s, I'll either allow myself or someone else to talk me into building something else that will probably get a set of open sights and QD mounts. I may go Talley at this point and by this time I hope like hell I can afford them...

Did I mention I like QD mounts and open sights?

Jason

I like the open sight, but with my eyes, I can only use peep rear sights. Far sighted. mad.gif Most of my rifle are scope. I like the Mojo, but since I rebarrel them with heavy varmint barrel, I think that rifle sight will not work well.

spec.4

Spec4

YES you can use a fn base on any large ring action if charger hump is removed.

Rod

7427[/snapback]

Correct.

FYI,

Leupold part #52370 allows you to mount two piece bass without removing the hump.

I'm going with a set of the Leupold QR rings/bases on one of my next projects. I hear they are very good about returning to zero.

Guest The One and Only Roscoe
Leupold part #52370 allows you to mount two piece bass without removing the hump.

I'm going with a set of the Leupold QR rings/bases on one of my next projects. I hear they are very good about returning to zero.

Wouldn't it be nice if they'd come out with a set of QD mounts that would mount on a M98 without having to remove the charger hump?

Jason

Just a personal preferance but I like see-through type mounts, the Ironsighter brand in paticular. I don't know if they are still being made, my last one I bought off of Ebay was used. The Ironsighter brand at least the ones I have used are all metal, some of the knock off copies I've seen are plastic. I don't care for the see-through type rings not enough space to get a good sight picture.

Guest Mauserfever

z1r

Where do you find the Leupold 52370 mounts? I have looked in the Brownell and Midway catalogs and websites but can't seem to find that number.

H&R mounts are listed to fit FN Mauser but am not sure the military FN is the same or if these will clear the charger hump like the ones you describe.

Correct.

FYI,

I'm going with a set of the Leupold QR rings/bases on one of my next projects.  I hear they are very good about returning to zero.

7434[/snapback]

I have a set on my 270 and I haven't had to resight it yet. Scope been off a couple dozen times.

Don