Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Welded my 1st bolt yesterday

Horsefly

What a learning experience that was. I’ve welded since a teenager(hair over 50 years) even done it for a living for 10 years, but what a difference it is building 40ft. gooseneck trailers compared to a rifle bolt. Won’t do it again with a stick welder even though it turned out great. Have big roll of 1/2” aluminum cable that I cut a chunk to go in bolt. Cut another piece and separated the strands. Packed the bolt with heat paste and with the cable in bolt I filled the remaining space with the loose strands till it was tight. Wrapped the whole bolt in paper towels about big around as your fist and poured bottle of water on until soaked and dripping. Made one pass and let it cool maybe 20 minutes. Made another pass on other side and couldn’t stand the suspense so pulled back the towel and bolt was barely warm. Couldn’t believe it, but when I grabbed the ball end of knob I was brought back to reality. Something I really want to get into with a real heat sink,tig welder, and better holding jig. Building my jig is a whole nuther post. 

I don’t have near the experience you have but I’ve welded a couple with my mig and I won’t mess with it again. They finally turned out passable but it was a chore.

I used a jig like the one in the picture Doc asked about. I still have it but if I can remember next time I put out a trot line I’ll be using that sorry pos for a trot line weight.

On 2/28/2021 at 6:04 AM, Horsefly said:

Couldn’t believe it, but when I grabbed the ball end of knob I was brought back to reality. 

LOL! Funny how hot steel will get your attention! :D