Military Firearm Restoration Corner

2021 Garden

manureman

I would imagine some of you may have some stuff already started but I just broke my garden for the first time this year earlier this week. It’s the first time in years it’s been dry enough this early to do anything in a garden around here, I don’t put out any cold crops anymore so it’ll be a couple months before I put anything out but it was nice to be piddling. 
   I got my fruit trees pruned and sprayed with dormant oil and copper last month so I’ll hit my peach trees with copper again right before bud break to battle peach tree leaf curl , used to use sulfer lime spray and had real good luck till they figured out it was something else that worked that we were to stupid to be trusted with.

I’ll start my stuff inside in a couple weeks to have the plants ready when the ground finally gets warm enough.

We like to fix jalapeños and banana pepper’s stuffed with cheese and sausage and wrapped in bacon on the grill so I’m looking for something along the line of extra large banana peppers to try this year if you all have any suggestions I’d appreciate it. I don’t mind a fair amount of heat in my peppers but most of the rest of the family has to have them very mild. Used to buy some plants called fooled you jalapeños that had the look but none of the heat of regular jalapeños but have been starting my own inside for the last few years as we can’t find plants locally anymore. But I’d like something a little bigger if I can find it.

Only have onions out so far but in 2 weeks will be time for everything. Same here about being dry enough to till before planting time. The last 3 years I planted in mud, and my mud is black gumbo. It’ll grow anything if you can work it. I really think I could grow rice but a good broke water Buffalo are so expensive. I plant Fooled Japs too but last years were terrible hot like somebody switched labels. My japs load up every year but those and bell peppers just won’t get any size on them. Cayennes are a different story and are my favorite pepper to eat with supper. I truly love stuffed jalapeños. Just looking at Jung seed catalog and they have Fooled You seed. Seen some other day at feed store called Coolapeno. Might try couple of them. My onions took -3 degree 3 mornings and are doing fine. Our apricot tree is in full bloom so it’ll be a miracle if it don’t get bit. 

It got too dry on my onions so made beer run and stopped in Ace for soaker hose and was coming a flurd toater when I got home. Overpaid for the hose but Shiner Bock was on sale so spent day bedding a Mauser,drinking beer,watching it rain. Going tomato plant shopping today. Be a week before I can get in the rice paddy. The tomato growing season is so short here in Tejas Celebrity is a good variety.  

I like Celebrities here too, always have some. Cant say I have ever ate a home grown tomato I didn’t like but my favorite is a big ole rough beef steak. 
   Be the second week of May before you can stop worrying about frost here and stuff won’t take off real good for another week or two after that.

Rain is back here too, been keeping an eye out for you a good broke water Buffalo,ain’t havin much luck but if you’re in the market for a yak I believe I saw some a couple counties to west the other day.

I figure that gumbo would ball up in that hair and they’d Peter out before the first row was done myself.

But my yak know how is nothin and then you throw the whole Texas deal in there and didn’t know what you might not have to shave your yaks in Texas to get em to stand the heat but then you’d have to worry about sunburning your yak and I can’t imagine that would ever be good and wouldn’t think you’re neighbors would tolerate yaks with a mo-hawk that would keep the sun off of their backs and the gumbo from balling up their running gears.

Probably gonna take some calves to town Friday so I’ll see what they run through the sale barn , been a while since I saw them run a real good broke water Buffalo thru though.

You right, Roma’s are a good idea. They do real good in heat. Will get some maybe tomorrow. Plants right at 4.00 with larger ones 7.00 at Lowe’s. I try to pass over Bonnie plants. 

My apricot tree is crazy loaded and hardy ever has enough fruit for the squirrels and jay birds, so if maybe we can squeak by without a hard frost I’ll get enough to scour me out. Something about apricots tears my guts up like a cow on a green patch but I’ll still eat heck outta’um anyway. Gonna cut back to 20 tomato plants so might plant next couple days if I can find something to cover them Thursday night. 

I do like apricots but don’t have any. Was thinking I might try to put me a few out next year.

Got a paw paw patch down along the creek that work on me the way apricots do you , it’s a good thing the coon’s and such work on em as hard as they do or there wouldn’t be anything left of me.

Got the limbs all picked up out of the yard yesterday evening so I’d have that done cause need to mow for the first time in the next few days. You can plan on grass cutting from a week before Easter to a week before Thanksgiving around here. That reminds me I bought a new mower last year and need to order a second set of blades to have on hand. I usually mow with dull blades the first time or two to grind up what the freezing and thawing has pushed up that I find the hard way.

Looked up the Austrian apricot liqueur ‘cause it sounds so good. Plenty of choices. Bet when it hits 105 this summer some of the apricot poured over Blue Bell vanilla ice cream will hit the spot. Wish apricots and cherries would grow better here. I planted 20 Celebrity tomato’s,2 cayenne and 2 Fool’d You peppers,6 Tiny Tim and 6 Yellow Pear tomato’s yesterday. Today will be yellow squash and this year Yellow Zucchini. Regular crook or straight neck squash is my favorite but can’t give it away to yuppies or townies but they’ll take all the zucchini I grow. I miss so many zucchini’s that are same color as leaves and get as big as watermelons by the time they come out from under leaves. Hoping yellow will show up better. Townies may shun the yellow. I got a huge fire ant problem. 3 daily lows below zero had no effect on them. 20 years ago articles said the ants couldn’t survive north of Red River because of the cooler winters,but that’s been blown all to hell. They’re growing hair. My family that farms in Love Co. OK have as big a problem as we do. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's pretty good lookin' dirt you got there.  We had a freeze 2 nights in a row last week.  My apple tree had just finished blooming.  Oh well, probably no apples again this year.  On a good year, I get 3 or maybe even 4 apples.