Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Turkish Mauser

I was just searching google for Turkish Mauser quality and I found out what I have. An oddball of course, a M1903/30 Model. It has a  pretty interesting history , The Ottoman Empire started out with 7.65x54 cartridge and the Turkish Republic reworked their old rifles to 8x57JS starting in 1930 . I have one of these. It was done in 1935 by the serial #. The action was made by Mauser in 1903. I paid $100 which was too much for the very rough sporter. I sent to my gunsmith friend, for some reason. He said the barrel was shot, but he said had a decent German take-off  one under his bench. When he fitted it, he also shaped it, with a half length octagon. As with any of his work, it looks great. I'm fitting it to a gunshow large ring stock, that someone had done in his idea of Weatherby style. The glass bedding will also fill in the difference between intermediate and standard 98.  There is enough wood  that  I can reshape. I'm better at wood than metal.  

Downwinder, about 15+ years ago I bought a greasy Turk Mauser from J&G. I was going to use it to build a sporter. After a degreasing project and looking down the minty and very shiny bore. There was no way I could butcher it. According to the J&G sales clerk it was built from a WW1 German action and the Turks refurbed it. The rifle is remarkably accurate, surprisingly with Turk corrosive surplus ammo. Months later I put a 20 rd box of US name brand ammo, likely Remington or Winchester brand. Bench rested it shot 100 yard clusters but apx 3-5 inches lower than the Turk ammo. I cleaned up the stock and it’s now a keeper buried in the back of my vault. I bought two more Turks from J&G but have just stashed them away still covered with cosmo. Can’t recall for sure the cost but taking advantage of a 2-fer deal the cost was less than 100 each. I also followed the advice of former regular Z1R and bought Kkale marked picking out two from the four I looked at. Far as I’m concerned the Turk’s quality rivals any European Mauser. 

Back in the late 70’s my shooting buds and I chipped in and bought a bunch of Turk surplus 765. I don’t remember the low cost but do remember the shipping exceeded the cost of the ammo. I’m thinking the ammo cost worked out to about 3 or 4 cents per round.  It was by far the very worse Ammo I ever used. A minimum of 90% hang fires and the duds taught us how fast we could operate the bolt fearing it might ignite on the way out. I pulled some duds and unfired cartridges. The base of the bullets were all very corroded and the powder charge turned into a solid pellet. We wound up dumping the remainder of the ammo in the garbage. 

No fear of surplus ammo, I reload. I have a jug of IMR 4064 . I started this project when I was last here some years ago, and have collected brass,  Remington and Nosler bullets. The stock was fairly recent, within the last couple of years, but the Leupold 4power dates back to the earlier project time. I have found the bolt parts, which is good as the bolt is shorter than a regular 98. I just have to relearn Mauser bolt assembly. This getting old involves a lot of relearning, chuckle. 

My wife was recently bemoaning missing out on our trip to Boise Arizona . She is a rockhound. The Quartzite Rock and Gem show is miles of jewelry counters to her. 

My wife is a rock person also.  She had her own store here for a while.  Been to Quartzite, always stop in when we are heading out that way.

I built a 30-06 on a Turk.  Shoots about 2-3" at 200 yards with iron sights.  I built it for high power prone competition, then we moved and there's no matches here.

Mine certainly are. And that is with a Boyds stock(2nd), an after market trigger. The however rifle, a sporter,  was "some sort of Mauser in 303 " $40. He wouldn't come down. Late serial # Winchester.  I found the sight on line in England in a number of English pounds, and the mounting screw was made by a gunsmith in the states. The front sight is original though. 

I have 2 K.Kale on the shelf.. one very Nice indeed, the other gets the "evil eye" from time to time,  And a smaller sibling, a Turk M93.

The poorest Bore, that got here with no Wood, is Now a 30-06 in a Boyds Stock, there is still a K.Kale action only, that was intended for a 270, But, Since i dislike 270's and the Darn thing won't feed anyway... I am Close to trading that mess away on a Large ring action, just because I have a very Nice Large ring 8mm barrel that looks Pristine inside!!!!.. Having an '03 in 30-06 with the National Match type open sights... I have Made up My Old Mind, and Equally Old Eyes...I like Scopes!!!

One of the guys at the range, a Palma competitor, suggested "tin hat"  targets for iron sights. NRA might still have some.  They aren't that common so I use targets with a 6" black circle with the bottom half whited out. I use a piece of paper cut into a half a circle to block that out.  A 3# coffee can is about the right size. 

Getting old. It not just the knees that hurt after a longish dog walk , it's the eyes you can't see with. Getting back in to shooting ,I swear this year I'll pay off my club membership with enough range  usage. So I loaded some 260 for load development . I found 7 power wasn't enough. At the end of the month a trip to the eye doctor.  

K. Kale action could make some thing on the 06 case, a modern 256Newton , 6.5-06 or how about a modern 33 OKH ??  , a 338-06 A-Square . One takes 25-06 and the other 30-06 brass. 

24 minutes ago, Downwindtracker2 said:

One of the guys at the range, a Palma competitor, suggested "tin hat"  targets for iron sights. NRA might still have some.  They aren't that common so I use targets with a 6" black circle with the bottom half whited out. I use a piece of paper cut into a half a circle to block that out.  A 3# coffee can is about the right size. 

Getting old. It not just the knees that hurt after a longish dog walk , it's the eyes you can't see with. Getting back in to shooting ,I swear this year I'll pay off my club membership with enough range  usage. So I loaded some 260 for load development . I found 7 power wasn't enough. At the end of the month a trip to the eye doctor.  

K. Kale action could make some thing on the 06 case, a modern 256Newton , 6.5-06 or how about a modern 33 OKH ??  , a 338-06 A-Square . One takes 25-06 and the other 30-06 brass. 

I hear ya... but, This Particular k.Kale Hates -06 Cartridges!!!Anything shorter it "eats" with aplomb!!!

I guess you are stuck with the 57 family. 6mm Remington, 257Roberts, 6.5mmx57 ( rare)  7x57, 8x57, and 9.3x57.  The last one is official, but it's more of a Swedish only cartridge. They converted their 6.5x55  M96s to it for moose.  They call it the potato thrower , in Swedish.

Guys don't always take into account box length . 

I just have to chime in here. Whomever posted iron sights are more fun just earned a “way to go”, a back slap and a few attaboys. Guess we’re are showing our age!! Even with my failing 70 year old eyesight. I’ve always preferred shooting through irons. When I first got into shooting in the early 70’s. My shooting buds and I used to shoot at metal dongs a few hundred yards away. Shooting mil-surp ammo and rifles through the issue sights long distance was really fun. 

My X wasn’t into rocks but she sure didn’t mind spending my money on antiques at the Quartsite swap meets. A now deceased friend and swap meet antique merchant. Openly bragged about the prices he could get on what he called junk from the Quartsite RV’ers with deep pockets. 

There's a huge store across the street from the Burger King, just off the freeway in Quartzite.  Don't recall the name. We always stop in there if it is open.  It is only open in the winter.  We went through in the summer when my dad passed and it was closed.  Understandable, as temps were "a bit high."  Probably cost hundreds a day in electricity to cool that place.  Anyway, I like the place too.  I have a very cheap vernier caliper on my desk that I use in making CAD stuff for my 3d printer that I bought there.  Sort of a "mens section" in the back with tools.  Linda could spend a whole day in there, so I have to tell her "One hour only, then we go."  We usually get a vegieburger at the Burger King before we head over.

I think Turks are perfect for a sporter build. I got started with a K Kales with a shot out barrel. I had Clemson rebarrel it to 35 Whalen. Then I found another one at a gun show for cheap. I I broke it up and ebayed everything but the bolt & receiver. I made enough off the parts to to have a 280 rem. fitted. My latest is the 7x57 I did a post on a little while back. They make a great base for a sporter build. 

PXL_20201215_221533296.jpg

No detailed welding isn't a skill I have. I know my limits.

The 3 in Walnut were weleded by Clemson. The butter knife bolt handle is made by Don Marky. I shaped it after Clemson weleded it on. The 7x57 was welded by Tanglewood. 

I was told bolt handles should be welded by TIG . I have never done a bolt handle, but I have do have TIG welder. Mine is like a ESAB only blue . Built in the same city in China.  ESAB imports a decent one, 185i , not a great one. if you look up the price, it's around $1800, plus the bottle of gas. The better quality Miller was about twice as much as mine when I got it. It's 3x now. That's a lot of money for the odd bolt handle.  I got mine to do stick and < .125" aluminum.  

IDK I hear lots about TIG... But see no reason a good ole BuzzBox can't do as well on the steel Involved??

Hell folks always tryin to tell us that the Chrome Moly of our Chassis need TIG... Need to point out that Chrome Moly was Invented so the average GI could weld up the "parts/equipment" of WarTime... using ????? Oxyacetylene!!!!

TIG is easier, and usually ends up looking much Better...stronger???? I doubt it...I think Strength is gained by the Operator

I certainly wouldn't want to weld such a tiny part as a bolt body with a stick or even a MIG. I never considered myself a weldor, but I had to do fair bit of it at work. An AC welder is pretty rough . When I had to use one, I hated it. Buzzboxes  usually use 6013 with them.  Referred to as tinbashers rod. Low heat, easy striking, pretty, but brittle.  I learned on oxy-acetylene, it takes a lot of heat which spreads out instead of the concentrated heat of an arc. You could end up softening the whole bolt.  In some things, the spreading heat is an advantage, in that saves stress releiving . With TIG the filler rod is often a 70 series. 

I welded a bolt days ago with cracker box welder set on 60amps, 3/32 7018 rod. Worked fine. Took my time and took 4 clean ups to fill void or low spots. Bolt body never got hot but the ball on handle got hotter’n heck. Packed bolt body full of aluminum cable strands as many as would go in and filled it up with small grease gun full of heat paste. At the time I decided I’d never weld another but I’m ready again. May try my mig the next time. Told my little brother about the hell I had so he gave me a little 120v wire welder that he never plugged in. He bought a bigger one that he uses couple times a year.