Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A Turkish Mauser

I agree 3/32 at 100amps on DC would be a good setting. I don’t have DC. DC doesn’t stick as bad trying to start weld on little bitty parts. I clamped the bolt to piece of 1/2” plate to ground to and to jump arc to bolt no having to start on bolt. I’ve welded 50 years and would never consider gas welding a bolt. After all these years of welding I’ve never been exposed to tig but see it in my future. I can’t keep from going back to the picture of the green laminate stock rifle you made. It’s beautiful. The green being so dark is what sets it off. 

My skill set certainly doesn't include computers. I recently barely managed to program my welder .It seems it seem I can program my start and the arc force as well as amps. Gone are the days of going over to the Miller, crank the dial and flip the switch. I have a PLC to learn how to .set for the VFD on my metal lathe. It's frustrating , until you have had one you don't realize just how handy they are.   So the photo wasn't of mine and what little brain power I have left will not be used on learning how to post photos. chuckle. 

When it comes to rifle projects, I have a long list. After glass bedding , shaping the stock and finishing on the 8x57 Turk Mauser . I'm almost finished the inletting from a 98 to  a 1903/30 with a Bold trigger. The next major one is a '96 Swede sporter. a 1944 Husqvarna M38.  I have a semi inlet , another gunshow find. Also another Weatherby styled one. These are OK, because they have enough wood I can shape to my ideas of custom stocks.. The 8x57 Turk will get 185 or 195 bullets so recoil management will play a part. The Swede's 6.5x55 140 grain will allow a more graceful , faster handling stock. 

11 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I gotta ask. Who did you get the stock from? Boyd’s just aren’t that dark. 

All of these came from Richards Microfit. They are all seconds. The Walnut had dry checking. I used the sawdust mixed with carpenters glue as fill. The lainated was a left hand stock for a right hand action. I removed the cheek rest with planners and rasps. Each have several coats of Teak oil. 

As far as my next build? I have a 1938 Styer K98 action left. It's D&Td, receiver face trued. The bolt handle is already welded by Tanglewood a few years ago. I don't know what caliber to do. It going to be a 30-06, but I have to many of that caliber now. Maybe a 25-06 or 270. 

Edited by rdm1962
Spelling

Sorry I got rdm1962 and Downwindtracker2 mixed up. I looked at Richards Microfit and think they don’t have the dark green laminate anymore. That’s a beautiful color combo.