Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Type 38 stocks

bja105

I'm getting a type 38 sporter, rebareled to .308. The stock might be the original, but slimmed and very ugly. Ugly and it does not fit me. And realy ugly.

Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket stock? Do these rifles usualy have bottom metal extending behind the trigger guard?

Thanks

i have'nt seen any sporters with the metal left on. Boyds has got stocks for the japs, probably have to do a lot of inleting I've read each factory's rifles were a little differnt

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.  I guess I could get the stock, and cut the triggerguard to match the inletting.  round the couners with a file.  Sound like a plan?  pros/cons?

Could anyone post pics of sporters and how the bottom metal was handled?

8338[/snapback]

I swapped mine off last spring. The tang ex on the trigger gaurd was ground off right behind the rear action screw. think there just spot welded together

On my stock the bottom metal looked inleted like a mauser, looked like on the top they had inleted for about an inch of the tang but left it out,

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info.  I guess I could get the stock, and cut the triggerguard to match the inletting.  round the couners with a file.  Sound like a plan?  pros/cons?

Could anyone post pics of sporters and how the bottom metal was handled?

8338[/snapback]

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image