Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Chamfer barrel

Horsefly

I suppose the best method would be to just buy the right tool. 

I dunno about the outside edge, but just some emery cloth and a palm should break the sharp edge.  For the crown, I use a carriage bolt and valve grinding compound in an electric drill.  Just load up the bolt head with the compound and rotate it around with the drill on.

Thanks for the reply Dr. I was hoping there was some magic or secret tool I never heard of to make more of a chamfer on outside edge. 1st Swede I sportered 20  years ago I had a Smith cut and crown barrel and expected the outside edge to look more like the one he cut off. It’s just a glitch I have. Target and bull barrels should be the look I go for. They’re not heavily chamfered. Thanks again Dr. Hess. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 12:34 PM, donmarkey said:

Lathe

I agree, a lathe is the best bet.

Several years ago I got a Ruger Redhawk in a multiple gun trade. The Ruger’s barrel had been shortened with a half-assed crown. A gun smith removed the barrel and put it into a lathe. He re-crowned the barrel and did an excellent job rounding out the sharp edges on the end of the barrel. Afterward the 3 1/2” barrel chambered in 44 Mag is now a good shooter. A night vs day improvement in the shot to shot accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to Dave Manson's website  https://mansonreamers.com/catalog/  you can download his catalog in a .pdf format and open it in Adobe Acrobat or in a web browser - on page 15 is his Muzzle Crown Refacing Tool Kit, I have one - works great.  I have two pilots - .25 and .30 cal with the 0 degree cutter, 11 degree cutter and 45 degree chamfer cutter.  This combination makes for a nicely protected 11 degree crown and a perfectly executed chamfer.  No gunsmith or lathe needed.  There's probably a video or two up on Youtube for reference.

Happy to loan this rig to you, but I need it back in about 6-10 weeks. My wife bought me a new barrel for Christmas from McGowen. It's a LR Mauser prefit 6.5mm #2 contour @26" - I'm going to cut it down a bit and re-crown it.  Someone must have ordered it then abandoned their project, and I've been wanting to neck down the .280 Ackley Improved case to 6.5mm and go shoot'n. It was a very Merry Christmas at my house! :)  Send me a PM if you're interested in using the tool and I'll mail it to you. I also have a chamfer cutter that I bought of eBay that I use to chamfer the chamber a little deeper/wider - I polish by hand with 600 grit wrapped around a couple of wood coffee stirrers and viola! I'm putting my gunsmith out of business. I thank D'Arcy Echols for this trick.

Thanks very much for the offer. I got the rifle done and given to my brother. It’s a dang good shooting rifle. In the hands of a good shot probably would be tack driver. Again,thanks.  Dudes like you are the reason I’m back on this site.