Military Firearm Restoration Corner

No rifle barrels

Horsefly

16 hours ago, Horsefly said:

I need or want a .257 Roberts barrel but no luck now for several months finding new, used, or REM. take off. 

Looking Small Ring???

Maybe me, and others can be of help!!!

Yep. Small ring. Right on verge of ordering another 6.5x55 from Numrich. 149.00 and no idea who maker is. 6.5 is my choice but rifle will be for my son. I heard him tell my brother he always wanted a .257 Bob like his buddy hunts with, so light bulb went off. That was about when I was retiring and somehow got side tracked. He saw a 7x57 I just finished for my brother and went nuts over the dark grey laminate stock. 

Haven’t dealt with them in years but does anybody know what’s up with ER Shaw ? 
 Looked at the website the other day and it had changed lots don’t really know about them now but they used to be decent for the money. The ones I used would shoot better than I could, not that it takes a lot.

I’m on Shaws mailing list and only thing they offer is bumper Jack style rifle barrels. They won’t answere emails either. Just like ammo for black rifles. Everybody has 223 and .308. .40 cal handgun ammo everywhere. Seems to me barrels and ammo disappeared at same time. I emailed Midway that lots of negative talk about them sending sales adds and 80 present of items “Out of Stock” or “Notify When Available “.  

I had a barrel on back order at Midway for over a year.  They finally cancelled the order. 

I called up Green Mountain, whose barrels Midway sells pretty reasonable but are always out of stock forever, and they had a 100 barrel minimum order for anything they didn't stock.  This was a couple years ago now, so add in inflation, but I SWAG'ed their wholesale cost at around $80 a barrel if you bought by the hundred.  Seems to me that if you could get enough interest in, say, 7x57 short chambered small ring barrels at about a hundred each brand new with a Spanish military profile, you could sell the crap out of them for $200 on ebay.

16 weeks(4 months sounds worse to me) wait for Shaw barrel and that’s for a .257 Roberts, chrome moly, 1-10 twist, 22” short chambered. $195.00. May have to forget gun tinkering and start building trailers again or try my hand at wood working. I can give away  all the picture frames I can make. I can build toy boxes but won’t look like a piece of furniture. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ikesdad said:

Same here. I forgot who made A&B barrels also. 

I just went and took a quick look at McGowen’s website. The wait times if what is posted is correct aren’t bad at all. Only problem McGowen ain’t cheap. About 10+ years ago I bought or better said had them install a McGowen premium cyro froze in 35 Whelen and set for minimum headspace. The accuracy is beyond amazing. I can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t cheap and my later projects were on the economy plan opting for A&B, Shaw and an unbranded from Sporter Express. Ha remember Sporter Express? Had anything and everything for building a Mauser sporter. At the time I was a lot better off financially and physically fit as I opted on the medium weight. Harry McGowen sold out years ago and I don’t know if the quality is the same. I read net chatter years ago claiming McGowen purchased barrel blanks from Douglas. Don’t know if it is or was true.

A former and now likely deceased rifle builder in my gun club. Claimed McGowen barrels chambered in 220 Swift out lasted all the others. I know there were plenty of Mauser rifle barrel manufactures in the 90’s but this guy claimed McGowen barrels were the best. 

The price of the few barrels available  has finally got me to rethinking the Mauser hobby. The fun is gone seeing barrels 300.00-600.00 bucks. Boyd stocks 175.00,Timney trigger 100.00, bolt handles 50.00, safety 50.00, scope mount,rings, and scope 275.00, and not counting tools at least a 100.00 for glues, oil, blue chemicals, sand paper and cleaning supplies. Maybe restoring old guns is in the future. They will at least keep me outta the pool halls. 

Don't quit before you give me a shot at a small ring action!!!!

And, Digging around some (I have a mess) I discovered a large ring 7X57 barrel... Outside seems fine... Inside... Not!!!

If it cleans up I will let ya know!!!!