Military Firearm Restoration Corner

need some info on Turkish Mausers

jl2695

This has probably been covered before but I just couldn't find the information with the search function. The reason I'm asking is that I've got 3 projects in mind and need some advise on what reciever to use for the barrels I've got. Is the model 1903 Turk with the large charger hump threaded for small ring or large ring threads? I've got an 03/38 Turk I was planning to use for 6.5x55 and a Yugo m48 for the 7x57 but will the 1903 handle a 338-06?

You might have some problems fitting a 338-06 into a 1903 Turk. The 1903 Turk has the external dimenstions of a standard Large Ring Mauser 98. However, it has the bolt of an Intermediate Mauser 98. Which means, that the magazine area is shorter. It also has small ring threads.

Now, I am not saying that it can't be done. I have a 1909 Peruvian Mauser, which was converted to 30-06, and it's action is basically the same as a 1903 Turk. That is, standard length exterior, intermediate bolt. Large ring action with small ring barrel threads.

Design wise, they are the same, but I have heard here on this site, by some fellow contributors, that the 1903 Turk has a tendency to run a little soft. Which is probably fixable by reheat treating, but then, that is an added expense and hassle.

Thanks for the info. It looks like maybe I should look for a Czech 98/22 for the 338-06 or perhaps get someone to turn down the threads on the barrel I just bought so it will work in a small ring reciever like the 03/38 Turk. I believe it's got a full length bolt and magazine area. Although any other comments are welcome

Sailormilan,

The 1909 peruvian despite its similarities to the 1903 Turk has a larger opening in the receiver well. So, with altered bottom metal it can accomodate cartridges like the 9.3x62 and .30-06. Out of curiousity, what length does your magazine meaure? Do you use handloads or factory loads in it? Sounds like a nice rifle.

jl2695,

I would build the 6.5x55 on the Turk 1903, and use the M38 for the .338-06.

z1r, mine is stamped "30" on the barrel and is chamber in 30-06. Originally, it had a 29" barrel which I had cut down. Right now I am using a standard hinged Mk X triggergaurd on it. But it came with a triggergaurd that had the magzine extended.

While it says "30" on the barrel, I wonder if it is a .308 or a .311. I do notice that a 30 cal bore brush goes down it a lot easier than any other 30-06s I have.

Got pics? Sounds nice.

Since you mention it has a cut down barrel I'd venture to guess that it has a .311 bore since it was originally chambered in 7.65x53. Many Argentines were brought into the country and sold so altered.