Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Large Ring Barrel Thread Chaser

Racepres

I find myself with a good looking 8mm 98 Barrel, that needs the threads Chased.. so Searching for either a Chasing Die, or a Thread File.

Would prefer to Rent, borrow,  Steal.... as I hope I only do this Once!!!

Anybody have even an Idea how I can address this??

Thanks

^^ Yes...Thanks... what I was thinking about...

I was Sure I had one Once... But, it was probably previous to my "unfortunate incident" so... may have left home!!!

Thanks for the leg work!!!

Probably easier and certainly more accurate to find a machinist to single point chase those threads.  A die that size will be pricy! 

1 hour ago, z1r said:

Probably easier and certainly more accurate to find a machinist to single point chase those threads.  A die that size will be pricy! 

I do Know that is true... hard to find around me, and Shipping being what it is these days... I'm probably money in the bank to put a different barrel on and be done!!!

I do have access to a nice lathe, also have plenty of Tomato Stakes to practice on... Never know!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just went and looked $35 seems fair with Brownells getting about $170 + shipping but $12.95 shipping for the rental is BS. I didn’t follow up but I imagine they require a hefty deposit for the rental. Have you tried eBay or Amazon for used??

5 hours ago, AzRednek said:

I just went and looked $35 seems fair with Brownells getting about $170 + shipping but $12.95 shipping for the rental is BS. I didn’t follow up but I imagine they require a hefty deposit for the rental. Have you tried eBay or Amazon for used??

Not Ebay nor Amazon,  but, Good Idea.. Thanks