Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First buck

mauserbull

Killed my first buck, just a spike. Used a K-31. Rolled my own 180 gr. Sierra hpbt. Very accurate load will post the powder and gr. when I can retrieve data on it. Butchered great and was a lung heart lung shot. Dropped in ten yards. His brother showed up about ten minutes latter while I was smoking a ciggy. Too dark and didn't wan't another spike so I just watched him from a max of fifteen yards and enjoyed two more chain smokes. This was on family land in Miss. What great fun. I'm headed back for rut in January for a one horned inbread. The meat packed out to over thrirty pounds and will feed me and my wife well.

Bye bye biggrin.gif

The first one will always stick in your memories. I shall always remember when I got mine. Was doing all the wrong things, drinking coffee, smoking a cigarette and beating my hands together to try and thaw them out. Just goes to show that when it is your time to score, it will work out. Sounds like you had a great day. swamp_thing

Deer hunting is my favorite thing. Congrats on a successful hunt. I have had deer walk directly into the wind carrying my smoke. Who knows what makes these fickle creatures do what they do. How is it you can sit for hours watching a patch of woods, and all of a sudden a deer materialises right in the middle of it?