Military Firearm Restoration Corner

USG ammo plants you guy seen this?

karlunity

I can recall President Trump when speaking about bringing up the readiness of the US Military. He remarked about the Army not having enough ammunition. I don’t have a problem with the govt firing up the old ammo plants. I suppose it likely started under Trump and my guess Biden will probably shut it down. It could possibly help increase the supply from domestic manufacturers for civilian use as they might be relieved of govt contracts.

I recall a few years ago Dept of Homeland Security ordered millions of 40 S&W ammo. For a while I had trouble finding 40 S&W ammo or brass. At the time a Cabela’s sales clerk told me it would be several months but he also successfully twisted my arm into buying their private label 40 S&W with nylon jacketed bullets. It could have been total BS as the only 40 they had was their private label and some way-way over priced Buffalo Bore. 

I did a little googling on this subject and it seems that the government has been spending millions since ww2 cleaning up the old ammo installations. Most of the machinery was sold and removed years ago.

Buildings require maintenance, you really cannot "mothball" a factory and walk away. Mother nature begins reclaiming things fairly quickly when abandoned.

9 hours ago, FC said:

Ridiculous having no primers for what, two years?

Guess the primers are all going where the money is. Producing over priced ammo. With little to none rifle ammo being manufactured there shouldn’t be a shortage of large rifle primers. With a lot of 45 ACP now being made with small pistol primers and handgun ammo using large primers being scarce. There should be plenty of large pistol primers. My only guess the primer manufactures must be letting their machinery that produces large primers sit idle or converted it to make small primers for the $20+ 9MM or 35+ 38 Special ammo. It seems the bullet manufactures are geared up to only make FMJs. Soft nose or hollow point ammo being scarce and ridiculously high priced. Just today I received two 20 rd boxes of 9 MM Silver Tips for 19.95 each + freight from J&G. It’s the cheapest I’ve seen Silver Tips since the shortages began. I know the price was out of line but my SD ammo is all about 3-4 years old. I can’t recall the numbers, think it was about 2.50 per round of 45 ACP Silver Tips I said screw it. I’d like to tell the manufactures and distributors to kiss me while I’m being bent over and screwed. They must be laughing all the way to the bank. 

I have had a preference for Silver Tip ammo for many years. Back in the 80s Home Depot was selling damaged or torn bags of drywall mud dirt cheap. I took a bunch out to the desert and shot it. Most bullets simply left a clean hole. Bags I shot with 45 and 38 Special Silver Tips exploded. Home Depot quit selling the damaged bags after being leaned on by the state govt. Seems I wasn’t the only one testing and leaving the plaster mess in the desert. It was about the same time G&F Wardens began issuing tickets to target shooters leaving a mess in the desert. 

Im in fairly good shape with primers. I hoarded primers toward the end of the Obama shortages. I wouldn’t trust my life with the oddball brand as I did have some failures to go bang. Some are Ill fitting and several years ago I tossed some large rifle as they fell out of the primer pocket. I can’t recall the brand name. A European brand in purple boxes had about 3-4% failure to go bang. Surprisingly Wolf brand large pistol primers fit properly and we’re 100% reliable. S&B primers were 100% but took some extra elbow grease to seat properly. I got a bad batch of Remington small rifle. Many were simply just the cup without any innards. Remington did make it good, sent me more than I sent them. My favorite Winchester brand have all disappeared from retailers it seems. Way back in the 70s I had problems with CCI and haven’t bought any since. Don’t have any left but Federal primers were the best for mag rifles especially for DuPont stick powder. Rarely leaving any unburned powder kernels behind.

If any of our regular members are local I might be able to spare some oddball brand primers. It’s just a real hassle and very expensive to ship explosives. Myself a former USPS employee I can’t play dumb by putting them in the mail. With Phoenix being an illegal drug hub from Mexico UPS opens and inspects everything shipped by individuals. Several years ago FedEx returned some primed 300 H&H brass I sold on eBay. It went right through after I deprimed it. Don’t know how they caught it. It was left at my door with a sheet of hazmat instructions. 

Drugs but no primers. Gents the republic is in sad shape. Old pal sends me retirement ads from the NAM. Figured he was a nut.   When the  Nam starts to look good...Something is wrong

Back during the Obozo shortages I believe it was the CEO of Federal that did a YouTube apologizing for the primer shortage saying they are all being used to keep up with ammo orders. 

You’re right about the drugs. An ER nurse told me there has been a spike in overdoses due to Fentanyl. She told me it’s being disguised as OxyContin tablets. It just keeps flowing across the Mexican border. Local news reported an unaccompanied 10 year old was caught smuggling Fentanyl recently. Back in the late 60s we had a hell of a time sneaking fireworks and switch blades across. Had a good share of firecrackers confiscated when I was a teenager. Border guards are probably letting many people and cars cross without being searched.