Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My latest build - another Ackley...

AckleyFan

Decided to put the new McGowen barrel on the VZ-24 action today, I staged some photos for ya'll.  It's chambered in 280 Ackley Improved (my favorite) #2 McGowen contour @ 26" .  My procedure is: face off the receiver with a cutter from Dave Manson, tap and clean up the receiver threads with the Brownell's tap (like a bottom tap), face off the C-Ring with another cutter from Dave Manson, set the C-Ring to receiver face distance so that I have about .003' crush on the barrel mating surfaces - I specify the barrel tenon length so that I have some room for adjustment.

The barrel threads needed to be cut down a bit so I set up the die to take a few thousands cut and started spinning it with the screwdriver in the slot as a driver, I can hold it in my hands if I take a firm grip.  I cut up to the relief cut which gets about 3/4th of the threads then turn the die around and finish the few remaining threads.  Perfect fit.  Clean everything.  Add lube to the threads and tighten to about 60 lb-ft.  Check fit and put tools away.  Mix a cold beverage and setup for chamber reaming tomorrow.  I had the chamber cut about .040' short so I get the full benefit of the custom reamer leade geometry that Dave Manson and Nathan Foster developed when I finish reaming.   Their objective was to develope a reamer/chamber that more gently guides the newer style (longer) bullets that we're using nowadays into the lands.  Seems to work well, this is my 2nd build with this reamer and the first one is a tack driver!  I have high hopes for this one.  No idea which stock I'll use yet - I'd like a carbon fiber job but I'm not made of money... anyone have an idea for a good lightweight stock?

image008.thumb.png.aa6def777a0e26d626c07e4e563f0bc8.pngimage006.thumb.png.1c0653c0dbbcecc6c219fa117672078b.pngimage004.thumb.png.c972775a0417db7345cf43f79c275acd.pngimage003.thumb.png.d7bd3ee6e4dc215fc477ef4102417b97.png

image002.jpg.5966fa7af054252374aac53ad80507ff.jpg

Looks good!  Dunno about the stock.  All stocks are expensive these days.  I keep an eye out for them on the for sale section of gunboards.com.  I've picked up a couple of 98 sporter stocks for future projects that way, but you never know when one will show up.  Otherwise, it's spend a lot on a stock.  Ebay also has some come up.