Military Firearm Restoration Corner

adams and bennet barrel mounting

youngtrout

Hello, I had to ask one more question.

I went and screwed the 338-06 barrel on a fn action, it threads about 1/3 of the way they really starts to bind.

I was figuring that this was because of the 60 degree threads.

I did not put it in a vise and turn it in (I'm planning on finishing the barrel first.

I just wanted to ask those who have mounted these barrels if this is the norm.

And if the barrel with thread up with some anti-seize and a proper wrench and vise and a touch of elbow grease.

Thanks

Like flaco said Littletrout,get some valve grinding compound at O'Rillies or Auto Zone,or any auto parts store,put some on the threads and hand twist it on until it gets tight,then back it off and on several times,and put more compound on now and then.I've done 2 barrels this way that only had maybe one thread start,but after a while they went on all the way and was a real good feeling fit.It may take a while,but you'll like the feel of the fit.fritz told me this trick a couple years ago.Jerry

Actually, if you managed to screw the barrel down 1/3 of the way without a wrench or vise, you did pretty well. I think you will find that it will screw home with no problems when you mount the barrel in the vise and use the action wrench on it. Lubricate the threads with a bit of high-pressure grease. Automotive chassis lube is fine. You just want to prevent galling.

Clemson