Military Firearm Restoration Corner

cougar carving finished

724wd

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/724wd/email1.jpg

well, here it is! it has 4 coats of tung oil and is a little darker than the pictures show... i guess it pays to have a good photographer to make you look good... biggrin.gif

i epoxied some pins in the slate base with cooresponding holes in the feet to make it less prone to moving, while still allowing it to be removed for repairs if nessecery. for those that didnt see it in the my project guns thread, it is carved from tigerwood and is about 15 inches long. my step mom will be the recipient of it come christmas morn.... kinda have to make up for missing her birthday ( i was even there at their house deer hunting and STILL forgot! blink.gif )

Beau, you should be a very proud man. Not merely for the talent involved in making such a work but more so for your gift of it to your step-mom. She is unusually lucky as such relationships go to have a child such as yourself. Too frequently such relationships are strained to say the least. Both parties misunderstanding or worse, resenting each other. Accepting your dad's wife shows tremendous maturity and love - not just for her but for him.

I've rambled too much on this boring O/T subject. Take my word for it, she'll forget all about the birthday when she sees this!

tony, i had a picture of a taxidermy form from van dykes catalog that i blew up. it was only the right side, so i had to make up the rest, so you could say some of it was freehand.... tongue.gif

by the way, she loved it, of course!

just wait until you guys see the elk bust with bronze horns..... biggrin.gif