Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Type 99 Range Test

Clemson

I shot my Late-war Type 99 yesterday for what I suspect was the first time in the rifle's history. I am relatively certain that this gun saw zero rounds during the war. It was surrendered and brought back by some vet. The screws on the rifle are all staked -- the action has never been out of the stock. I cleaned what appeared to be a sewer pipe bore, but it was grease in the bore that I saw. It cleaned up absolutely like a new barrel.

At any rate, I bought some reloaded ammunition loaded with softpoints at the last gun show I attended, and this weekend I got the opportunity to touch it off. Here is a pic of the action. Other than the surface rust, the gun is in good shape.

user posted image

The non-adjustable peep sight shows one of the screws with the staking in place.

user posted image

This example is sometimes called (probably incorrectly) a "Last Ditch" Arisaka. It was made at the Hiroshima arsenal late in the war, probably about 3-4 months before that arsenal suffered a sudden work stoppage. By late in the war, there were some shortcuts being made. This particular gun has a wooden buttplate.

user posted image

The range results were pretty good considering my old eyes and the sorry sights. I was able to shoot a 4" group off a bench rest at 100 yards. The wooden buttplate still came back with authority with the 7.7x58 mm rounds!

Clemson

I have three Series 11 and two Series 10' that were made after your rifle. Looks like to me yours is a 7th? Anyway they all had cruddy bores till I ran a patch through them and they too had grease and dirt in them. I don't beleive they have ever been fired either. You have a nice rifle. I like that safety. riceone.

I don't have a book to tell me the series number, but maybe you can tell from the receiver markings, riceone.........

user posted image

This rifle is externally crude in several areas where it doesn't really matter. The bore, as mentioned above, is pristine. Check out the bolt handle:

user posted image

Clemson

• 1 month later...
I don't have a book to tell me the series number, but maybe you can tell from the receiver markings, riceone.........

user posted image

This rifle is externally crude in several areas where it doesn't really matter.  The bore, as mentioned above, is pristine.  Check out the bolt handle:

user posted image

Clemson

326[/snapback]

Your rifle is a 35th series made gy Toyo Kogyo, Hiroshima Prefecture. It should have a welded safety instead of the serrigated one. Does the numbers on the root of the bolt handle, firing pin and safety match the serial number on the rifle? riceone

I just disassembled the bolt. The bolt handle, safety, firing pin, and the extractor match with the same 3-digit assembly number. That number does not match the receiver number, however. Where else would you expect to find that assembly number?

Clemson

The "Bible" on Japanese rifles is "Military Rifles of Japan" by Fred Honeycutt. You can order a copy directly from him for $42 post paid and here is the address. You won't be able to put it down when it arrives. riceone.

Fred Honeycutt

5282 Ridan Way

Palm Beach Gardens, Fl 33418-6029.