Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Parkerizing

Okay, I have a receiver and barrel that I had sandblasted with fine grit, what I normally do for painting with KG coatings. But instead I have decided to parkerize. Since I have sandblasted it, would it be okay to just finish as is, or go over that with bead blasting to tone it down?

I have only parkerized over a sand blast and found the finish very subdued. Had a nice even dark gray appearance that looked smooth. If you parkerize over the sand blast surface, and find yourself unhappy, just bead blast and reparkerize. You could even polish the above stock surfaces for a smooth looking finish. I'm not sure if bead blasting will give you a polished look or not, having never done it. It's just got to be super clean before parkerizing. I guess it's all about personal preference, and doing what you feel is right.

Spiris

I need to match the finish of a Remington barrel. The finish almost looks like the teflon coating in a frying pan. Can I bead blast the receiver and cold blue it to match the texture? I've never done any parkerizing and don't have any of the solution.

I knew someone would have done it. Nice pic fmsniper. That's a courser look than you'd get by bead blasting, but looks like it would take alot less prep and polishing before blasting and cover alot of the imperfections these old surplus guns have. Also less glare for a hunting rifle.

-Don