Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk 1938 remove barrel band help needed

Guest Mauserfever

Guest Mauserfever

I just picked up my first Turk Mauser a 1938 98 action type. How do I remove the front barrel band/bayonet lug? I do not see any pins or springs but I know there has to be some little trick to it. Also, are all of the 1938 models small ring? I do not see K Kale on this one.

I also just acquired my first turk 38, a k kale. on mine, there is metal showing

on the bottom of the stock, these are springs which will have to be pushed

into the stock to remove the bands. yours may be the same. i placed a

small piece of wood on mine, covered it with a piece of vinyl and used

a pair of chanel locks to press them in. the bands came right off.

good luck.

You can indeed determine shank size without taking the barrel off.

The K.Kale's are SR

So are the 1903's

So are the 1893's

That leaves the ATF marked ones, which are converted G98's, and all other standard 98's as LR shanks.

The term M38 is really meaningless and is applied loosely to just about every turk. the 1893's and 1903's tend to be mostly marketed correctly. But I've seen 98'22's sold as M38's. That was a super deal.

Be sure to remove the cleaning rod before you try to get the front band off. They can be tough to remove. Often there is a bunch of crud underneith that needs to be compressed to get it off.

Guest Mauserfever

Thanks to all of you for your help. I was able to get the barrel band off. When I bought this Mauser and not being very familiar with Turks or Yugos, I thought it was a M48 Yugo because it had 1948 below the unfamiliar (to me) crest. After

more research and measurement I pretty much figured it out to be a G98 rework because of its standard length, large ring, and straight bolt. The Ring is the same length as the standard 98 with the counterbore for the handguard. Not too happy about that part but I have a new A&B barrel in 7X57 and also 6.5X55 so I think either of these will do well. The action is pretty decent in quality and pretty good on the machining. I have seen some of the Turk K Kales on Steve Wagners site that are rough as corn cobs. I know these will make decent shooters but they leave a lot to be desired on a custom sporter. I bought this one in a local pawn shop for $90 so that is not too bad for local prices. I'm rambling, so again, thanks to all of you for your input and help.

Of course all of my Turks are doners so I wasn't too concerned about marking up the

metal, only dissassembeling.

To get the front cap off, I've found that if you use a small 'cold chisel' you can pop

them right off.

Hold the chisel at 45* with the 'cuting' edge in the joint between the front band and

the spring clip.

When you strike the chisel half of the energy pushes the spring clip down and the

other half of the energy pushes the band forward.

It ususally only takes one or two blows to free the band and get it moving forward.

Once it is free of the spring clip you can drive it forward and off with light blows

striking a punch to 'drift' it off.

Tinker