Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A New Direction

roscoedoh

user posted image

I just read some favorable feedback on E.R Shaw company and am contemplating giving them a try. The above action is one I worked up this weekend have about seven hours invested in it. I may be inclined to work up another for an Xx57 length cartridge.

Here's a new thought: get Shaw to barrel me an 8x57 for whatever action I end up with. I no longer have a viable 8x57 sporting rifle and feel kind of at a loss to be without one. For me, the ammunition easily available and since my Dad now has a 8x57 (Rem Classic), I need one too.

I figured up about $300 for Shaw to barrel and blue everything and that's about what it'd cost me to farm an A&B barreling job out to seperate vendors . I guess my question is, is Shaw worth it? I'm told they recently retooled and are making higher quality barrels.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jason

I think for less money you should get a LW from Sporter Express and email Z and talk him into installing it for you. After you get it back you can rust blue it in your bathroom. Steam it with a teapot. I'll send you some bluing solution. It'll take a bit more work but you'll have an 8 x 57 to give to your boy.

I just sent them an action 2 weeks ago. I am getting their 3.5 con. in 8X57. The lead time right now to get one back from their smith is 16 weeks sad.gif . If you do, don't forget to send them your C&R. They give a 20% discount on the barrel and the bluing. I emailed just about every one of the barrel makers about an 8X57 barrel and SHAW was the only one that ever got back to me. And it was the same day. They have short and long chambered barrels if you go the do it yourself route.

Guest Dirty Mike

I have used E.R. Shaw for over 20 years. My first experience with them was a '93 Mauser 7x57 and they won me over. Since then they have done a 45-70 Siamese Mauser, a 358 Win FN military, a Mark X .280, a 6.5x55 Turk, and numerous others that I have sold or traded off.

They do excellent work and Chris Murray has always answered my email questions promptly. I give them a thumbs up!!

Guest Mauserfever

What brand and type are those scope mount bases? I like the way it covers the hole for the stripper clips. The length and position gives it a nice symetrical look.

Mauserfever,

Those are Leupold standard FN mounts. I D/T this action with the Wheeler jig. Just bear in mind that if you want yours to look like this, you'll need to remove the locator pin and slide the jig all the way forward in the action before drilling the rear mounts. Otherwise it will sit too far back. Or at least, this is how I went about it.

-------------------

This project may take different direction yet. I am still not wild about the stock design and DT makes a very strong case for getting something I already want. The action in the picture may become a 35 Whelen later in life. I may sell the stock I have, buy something classic, and build something like a 8x57. And rust blue it!

Thanks again for the feedback all.

Jason

Olddude,

Contact Davis May. I bought the above triggerguard from him. Last I heard, he still had some. He's a good guy to do business with and will treat you right.

Oops! Sorry about that.

Here 'tis:

Davis May

RR1, Box 164

Moscow, Kansas 67952

Mobile # (620) 544-9241

yamyor38@pld.com

I have had nothing but good experiences from him.

Jason