Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.146-48 screws

Racepres

Found the "oversize" 6-48 scope mount screws in brownells' and wonder if anyone has used these.

Specifically a friend brought over a nice small ring 7X57 sporter w/ some wallowed out mount holes. The stock screws sorta' half way grab but not stout.... "mushy" if ya know what I mean. Kinda like someone used too large a tap drill. Or should I just go to #8's and forget it??? Thanks... MV

As usual, I'm too late to add my response, but you are probably better off to tap to the #8 screws.

That is what I have always done.

fritz

I would have to differ with one comment -- you won't find #8 gun screws at a hardware store. The gun screws are 8x40. That size is only found at gunsmithing supply houses. Any attempt to tap to a lesser number of threads is asking for trouble.

Clemson

I would have to differ with one comment -- you won't find #8 gun screws at a hardware store.  The gun screws are 8x40.  That size is only found at gunsmithing supply houses.  Any attempt to tap to a lesser number of threads is asking for trouble.

Clemson

9792[/snapback]

Sorry, Clemson--- I have found 8-40 screws and taps at a local hardware store. It definitely isn't your typical Ace Hardware, it's a very complete store. They don't carry a lot of those odd thread types but they do carry some of almost everything that has ever been threaded. If you're ever in Portland, look up Wink's Hardware. They've been here about a hundred years so they'll probably be here when you get here too.

Sorry, Clemson--- I have found 8-40 screws and taps at a local hardware store.  It definitely isn't your typical Ace Hardware, it's a very complete store.  They don't carry a lot of those odd thread types but they do carry some of almost everything that has ever been threaded.  If you're ever in Portland, look up Wink's Hardware.  They've been here about a hundred years so they'll probably be here when you get here too.

9799[/snapback]

Well, OF, I have to agree that you never say "never." I DID find a couple of gun taps in the MSC catalog. A 6-48 costs $17.42, and an 8-40 costs $25.72. That is not in exotic metals either, mind you. It is in HSS. Brownells charges $3.70 and $4.70 respectively for those sizes in High Speed Steel. The cost of carbon steel, which is what I use, is normally around $1.50.

I do like to wander through the old hardware stores. Sometimes you can come up on a treasure. Generally, however, you have to be as old as the treasure to recognize it.

biggrin.gif Clemson