Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lapping bolt lugs

MarkTX

To what degree do you need to lap the bolt face and lugs and what works best ? I didn't know if I should post it here or in"Bolts". If this is the wrong place please let me know.

Thanks

I recall that this was discussed on the old board once.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

If memory serves....

Here is the short version.

Almost everyone agreed that if you got 90% contact on both lugs you were 'GOOD'.

Most felt that if you had at least 50% on one and >50% on the other that was

'good enough'.

What you really don't want, and can happen, (especially if you are mixing and matching

bolts) is to have only one lug contacting.

Fine valve grinding compound

This is a matter of opinion and debate. Everything everyone has posted so far is correct according to what I have read and experienced. For accuracy many argue that full lug contact is important. To avoid dreaded lug set back it's important to minimize loss of the case hardening. What should you do? I don't think anyone can offer you more than opinions.

The most accurate Mauser that I've built, a Twede, I lapped the lugs as much as I could stand. When I started only one made contact. When I finished I was 100 % on one side and about 50% on the other. This is my most accurate rifle so far. I have about 1000 rounds through it now, most of them stiff. There's no evidence of a set back problem yet, but I'm still paying attention.

Based on concerns about lug setback I haven't lapped the lugs as far since. I essentially have just made sure that I get contact with both. None of these rifles have been as accurate as the Twede. There are many other variables in play, so this is by no means a controlled experiment, and may be entirely coincidence. But its my story, and I'm sticking to it.