Military Firearm Restoration Corner

swap meet guns

Guest Corelock

Guest Corelock

Ok guys need some input. Our gun club had its annual swap meet today. I picked up a Arisaka 99, a 93 spainish mauser, pair of remy shooting glasses with 3 colors of lenses and a gun guard double gun case for $100.00.

My plan was get rid of 99 at the next gun show. Any ideas on what one maybe worth. No mum, non-matching #s. Would you sportize it? If so how?

Second, I mistook the 93 for a 98. My plan here was to get a Rhineland 45 barrel for it. Anyone know if it will work for the .45? If not what you do with the action?

Thanks for the info.

Don't know nothin bout arisaka's... Rhinelander has the 45ACP and/or 45 win mag [my personal choice] for the small ring's as well as 98's... Seems to me the small ring is perfect for this, as the 98 action may be "overkill" for the low pressure 45's... opinions are worth what you give for em.... MV

Honestly, the Japanese 99 is worth more in Military configuration as a collectable than it will ever be as a sporter. The Type 38 is a much better-made gun. Although some exceptional sporters have been made from Japs, you would be better off to sell it for $75-125, and buy something like a 24/47 Mauser to sporterize. I have seen a spike in interest in Japanese rifles lately, and it is not uncommon to see really good specimens go for over $300.

Clemson

Clemson,that's very good advise!!!! I had a spike in interest for a 38 Jap lately,but I discovered I could have 4 Mausers for the price of one Jap that I just kinda wanted.How could anyone pay 300 bucks for a Jap,when you could get a all matching,in perfect shape with accesories Swede 96 or 38,or even a 1909 Argy?Jerry

Guest corelock

I was wrong about the #s they are matching. I just oiled it up and the bluing is in better shape than I thought. I just wanted to make sure on the sportizing. It looks like our next gunshow is not until April. With matching #s what ball park is it worth? I was going to pull it out of the stock, but the screws in the trigger guard have been hit with a center punch to stop the srcews backing out. Is this "factory" or was it done by a former owner?

• 2 weeks later...

The center punch mark was put there at the factory when the rifle was made and has not been taken apart since. For collectors that is a plus and adds to the valued of the rifle.

As to the comment on "how could anyone pay over $300 for a Jap rifle?" It depends on what you want to collect. Go try to buy most any nice matching Japanese rifle with a mum and you will pay over $300. I have quite a few that I paid double that and some and could sell them today and make a profit. riceone.