Military Firearm Restoration Corner

A new challenge.

Jeremy

I have decided to take up a new challenge of sorts. Last year I bought 2 Type 99 Arisaka barreled actions for $20 and set of RCBS 7.7 x 58mm dies for $35. Since then I have acquired a complete bolt, trigger group, extractor, bolt stop and a trigger guard. I have been able to marry all of these parts to one barreled action. It is an early war action from the Kokura arsenal and the barrel is crome lined with clear strong rifling. I slugged the barrel and it is a solid .312 but the chamber is very long. So long it is .041 over and shows no evidence of throat erosion. 

Now I have a decision to make re-chamber it or make ammo to fit the chamber. Either way will be acceptable to me. If I re-chamber it I have considered 30-06. I need a finish reamer and finding a donor sizing die and changing the de-capping pin from a .308 to a .312 basically having a 7.7 - 06. The metric conversion for 30-06 is 7.62 x 63 mm. 

Since the chamber is as long as it is and I'll have to make brass from 30-06 cases to fit the chamber anyway. It seems to me to be a better idea to just to re-chamber it. What do you all think? 

This is a picture of the action and barrel on a cherry blank that I bought a couple weeks ago. 

IMG_0590.thumb.jpg.e3405c79fd989160e19e850f742487f1.jpg

Very simular to what Argentina did to the 7.65x53 when they reamed them to 30-06. Definitely more accurate when hand loaded & bumped up to 311-312 bullets. What is your magazine length on the jap? 

Personally, I would leave it 7.7 JAP.  I mean, even if you ream it out to 30-06, it will really be a 7.7-06 kinda thing, and you will have to have custom ammo you make yourself either way.  Leaving it alone, you just neck size what you shoot and it's fine.

I've read a lot about those Arisakas.  Howa made a lot of them.  "They Say" they are extremely strong, like strongest of all the Mauser type actions.

I have nothing but time to think about it.

I'm really happy that I found this forum to get informed opinions because as the name of the forum implies spoterizing.com. From all of the threads that I loitered over before I joined. I noticed right away there aren't any flame wars or name calling just solid information shared among a bunch of gun nuts who pursue the same objective which is to keep the old war horses alive and not just be keyboard commandos. 

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.