Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8mmx338WinMag - anyone have any experience with this chambering

Hi All - I've purchased an Interarms Whitworth that is chambered in 8mmx338WM - has anyone here ever had one?  Any history on who developed this round and why?  I haven't laid eyes on this thing yet as I purchased it online and it's waiting for me to get home and retrieve it from the LGS.  It came with brass, bullets and a set of dies.  I'm going to take measurements on the bottom metal and try to figure out what it started life as - I'm hoping it was a .375H&H :)

Looks like it has a B&C stock that has been painted to better match the desert environment that the previous owner used it in.  Can't wait to work up loads for it using the Speer 170gr Hot-Cor bullets, should do well on black bear and elk at reasonable ranges. Impatiently awaiting for the manufacturers to make a run of the heavier bullets.  -Rob

I've never heard of that caliber before. The builder must have had an 8mm barrel and a bunch of 338wm brass that he was to utilize.

• 4 months later...

A quick update on this rifle -

It has a Brown Precision stock - the Kevlar Pound'r. I was stunned to find this stock on it, someone spent a bunch of $ on this thing, that stock is something special - super lite, strong and I absolutely love it.

It has a 20 inch Douglas barrel in a lightwieght profile with a radial brake on it - recoil is very mild. It shoots the 200 gr Accubonds at about 2800fps. The previous owner killed a lot of elk and oryx with this combo and noted that his furthest shot was 525yds on an elk - probably getting to the end of its effective range with that Accubond bullet.  I'm going to shoot the cup and core bullets as a bonded/premium bullet is not necessary in my opinion based on the velocity numbers for the 200 grain projectile - cost and availabilty are also huge factors.  I bought a bunch of Speer Hot-Cor 200 grain bullets, they should work just fine, and the price is outstanding.

I measured the bottom metal/mag box - this rifle started life as a 375 H&H Magnum - exactly what I wanted!  I purchased a set of 375 H&H bottom metal a few years back to for use on a 280AI build, it's got lots of room for those long pointy bullets.

My biggest dilema now is deciding what to do with it - leave it as is or rebuild it back into a 375 H&H for an Alaska/Africa rifle.  I'll try to shoot out the current barrel and then decide.

Pics.

That does sound like quite a rifle.  I would be tempted to leave it as is, but I've got this spot that says "You really need a 375 H&H Magnum.  What if cape buffalo attack the house?"  Saw a 300 H&H at a gun show once for not too much.  No, wanted the 375, and I really have ZERO need/use for one.

3 hours ago, AckleyFan said:

A quick update on this rifle -

It has a Brown Precision stock - the Kevlar Pound'r. I was stunned to find this stock on it, someone spent a bunch of $ on this thing, that stock is something special - super lite, strong and I absolutely love it.

It has a 20 inch Douglas barrel in a lightwieght profile with a radial brake on it - recoil is very mild. It shoots the 200 gr Accubonds at about 2800fps. The previous owner killed a lot of elk and oryx with this combo and noted that his furthest shot was 525yds on an elk - probably getting to the end of its effective range with that Accubond bullet.  I'm going to shoot the cup and core bullets as a bonded/premium bullet is not necessary in my opinion based on the velocity numbers for the 200 grain projectile - cost and availabilty are also huge factors.  I bought a bunch of Speer Hot-Cor 200 grain bullets, they should work just fine, and the price is outstanding.

I measured the bottom metal/mag box - this rifle started life as a 375 H&H Magnum - exactly what I wanted!  I purchased a set of 375 H&H bottom metal a few years back to for use on a 280AI build, it's got lots of room for those long pointy bullets.

My biggest dilema now is deciding what to do with it - leave it as is or rebuild it back into a 375 H&H for an Alaska/Africa rifle.  I'll try to shoot out the current barrel and then decide.

Sounds like one heck of a rifle! I think I would leave it as is.

2 hours ago, Dr.Hess said:

Pics.

That does sound like quite a rifle.  I would be tempted to leave it as is, but I've got this spot that says "You really need a 375 H&H Magnum.  What if cape buffalo attack the house?"  Saw a 300 H&H at a gun show once for not too much.  No, wanted the 375, and I really have ZERO need/use for one.

I have had an itch for a 375 H&H for some time now. I have a barrel and the bottom metal but I don't seem to have time to complete the 2 projects already on my bench. 

I did build a 375 Ruger a few years ago but have never shot anything but paper with it.

31 minutes ago, ken98k said:

Sounds like one heck of a rifle! I think I would leave it as is.

I have had an itch for a 375 H&H for some time now. I have a barrel and the bottom metal but I don't seem to have time to complete the 2 projects already on my bench. 

I did build a 375 Ruger a few years ago but have never shot anything but paper with it.

Who made the barrel and bottom metal?  If it needs a new home, I've got room for it and will treat it very well :)

21 hours ago, AckleyFan said:

These pics are from the previous owner - the rifle is a bit homely, but I'm a very proud father and so I'm obligated to overlook that fact...

Pics are converted to html - hope they post correctly

OK - the MAc allows me to resize the images under <Tools> <Adjust Size> they we set at 42 inches, I sized them down to 2 inches and did a copy-paste into the body of this post, looks like they are converted to a .png by the site app.  I like embedded images vs. attached, makes viewing so much easier when the platform allows it.

image.png.478a972a732e53843dbedbca687a32bf.pngimage.png.b99c10f412e93464ddcb2d22fc7457ff.pngimage.png.c7df3e5ca73a10a98a5863f566a5b5bb.pngimage.png.b4595ab2cbc520ea8ea7fb8855663d91.pngimage.png.b6c243355ba67be71f9fdd02b06b0cd3.png

Edited by AckleyFan
Add Pics

For posting, I'm not a mac guy, but...  If the JPG's are too big, you should have some type of imaging editing software available.  Open the picture with it, then save-as JPEG and it should give you some options on "quality."  Lower the quality.  Another way would be to change the size/scale.  Make it 1024 pixels wide and whatever length it decides, then save as JPG.  Both those will shrink it a lot, with the size route doing it best for forum posts.  Then drag it from your file system over to the posting box and that should do it.

You can also resize a JPG online with a site like

https://imageresizer.com/

which I have tried and seems to work fine and is free.  Convert, download it, then drag it into the posting window here.

12 hours ago, AckleyFan said:

Who made the barrel and bottom metal?  If it needs a new home, I've got room for it and will treat it very well :)

Im not sure who made it, maybe Zastava? I bought it several years ago from Don Markey.

I'm going to hold onto it for now, but I'll keep you in mind if I decide to give up on that build.