Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Did I over-ream?

Guest Guest

I finished reamed tonight and wondered did I go to far. before I new it it closed right up on go gauge and when I inserted the no go gauge bolt won't close but goes alittle past half. I fired a primed empty case and the primer backed out more than I would like. Is it time to take it and get the shoulders set back?

Thanks

I finished reamed tonight and wondered did I go to far. before I new it it closed right up on go gauge and when I inserted the no go gauge bolt won't close but goes alittle past half. I fired a primed empty case and the primer backed out more than I would like. Is it time to take it and get the shoulders set back?

Thanks

Last post was mine forgot to log in.

It closed on Go and did no close on No Go?

You may have gone a tad far, but no without actually looking at it, I'd say that you didn't go too far.

Did the primer fall out? Or just move backwards a little?

Test fire it a couple more times with a different brand of ammo. Or, if you're a reloader, try some factory ammo. Ammuntion does weird things sometimes...

If I may chime in here, it's not uncommon for a primed case to back the primer out a little. The .012-.014 dimension is the difference between the bolt face and extractor minus the rim thickness. With no powder charge to set the case back against the bolt face you sometimes get primer set back. I would say by your description with the no-go gauge, its about right especially if you don't reload. You need a little leeway between different manufacturers if it's used primarily for hunting. Reloading takes care of it anyways. Just go shoot it. Your primers won't back out.

Spiris

Well, it's not going to be a "match chamber" right?

If so you are ok since it won't close on a "no go", however, as the rifle "ages" be sure to check headspace every couple hundred rounds.

Some milsurps will swallow a field guage and fire just fine....The extractor claw holds the brass tight enough against the boltface to allow proper ignition, but that doesn't mean it's safe, so check every once in a while.

Jimro