Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Good Reads (books)

Dr.Hess

Whatcha Reading? 

I like to read some before going to sleep.  I subscribe to some gun magazines and read them, but lately I've been loading up an ebook on my tablet and reading that too. 

James Tarr writes articles for the gun mags.  He also writes books, and they are very good.  Right now, I'm reading Dogsoldiers for the second time.  It is about a time in the near future when the left and right go to war with each other.  The dogsoldiers are the true people's militia, completely volunteer, quit anytime they want, going to war against the leftist oppressors.  It takes place, as most of Tarr's novels, in Detroit.  There are lots of little jokes in it, like the doggies rename streets that they are patrolling based on features or names.  All the street signs are down, of course.  One street is called "Poke," short for "Pocahontas."  No one knew why the street was referred to as that, but the original name of the street was "Warren."

Another James Tarr book:  Whorl, and the followup: Whorl2.  A young man has the misfortune of having two fingers with fingerprints that are identical to two other people.  This would totally disrupt the "fingerprints are unique" legal thing, cause mass releases and retrials, make the FBI look bad, etc.  The FBI decides to just kill him, the other living person with one of his prints and the FBI tech that discovered it.  The young man happened to be a top level 3 gun competitor nicknamed "Gunfighter" and things did not go as the FBI had planned. 

I'll take a read of it, I've got it queued up.

Another James Tarr book:

Carnivore A Memoir by One of the Deadliest American Soldiers of All Time by Dillard Johnson, James Tarr

An absolutely incredible autobiography (with Tarr's assistance) of Dillard Johnson.  He was a Bradly Fighting Vehicle commander in Iraq, and anyone interested in the Iraqi war should read this.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Vietnam books:

Major Bruce H. Norton:

Force Recon Diary (1969), Force Recon Diary (1970)

Bruce Norton's account of his experiences starting out in medical school, which didn't work out, to joining the Navy, training as a corpsman, then getting assigned to a Marine Corp Force Recon unit.  The Marines don't have corpsmen; they use Navy personnel for that.  I didn't know that.  So, this squid, er, Navy corpsman, is assigned to a Force Recon team and goes out into very hostile territory with the Force Recon Marines, rifle in one hand, bandages in the other, so to speak.  Two very interesting accounts of his experiences during two years.

Major John L. Plaster:

Secret commandos behind enemy lines with the elite warriors of SOG

John L. Plaster's account of his joining the Army, going to Green Beret (Special Forces) school, getting himself assigned to SOG, a group that officially did not exist doing missions that did not exist in countries that they were not supposed to be in.  That is, they would chopper into Laos and Cambodia and try to find intel and kill NVA on the Ho Chi Min trail.  It is a blow by blow of all the missions he went on, plus those others in his group went on.  He then becomes a Covey Rider, who rides in an observation aircraft and directs the choppers to drop off and pick up teams, plus calls in air support (Cobras, A1's, F4's, etc.) for the teams as they invariable get their asses handed to them by the vastly outnumbering NVA.  I learned a lot from this book.  The NVA were a seriously impressive fighting force and extremely well organized.  The Ho Chi Min trail ran right through Cambodia and Laos where the politicians said they were not and the US could not touch them (sort of, cough cough.)  The trail would be bombed by B52's to nothing and the next night it was back in full operation.  They had bulldozers every 10 miles to do the repairs.  If you blew up one bulldozer, the next one up the trail would come take it's place, with the next one north taking that one's place, etc., until you got to the start of the trail where they would put a brand new one in the line.  It also seemed to me that the teams were "live bait" for the munitions to go blew up the NVA.  Millions of dollars of weapons going off go get them airlifted back out.  And, given the tremendous losses in personnel, there had to be a better way.  Comparing these operations to Norton's book, I can't help but observe that the Marines seemed to be better at not being seen and getting back alive.  But then, maybe the SOG guys were more concerned with fighting than just looking around.  And the NVA had tracker units to specifically hunt down and find them, plus NVA special forces to engage them.  The Marines in Norton's book also mentions the NVA special forces teams going after them and wiping out some of their teams towards the end. 

It's still sad what happened with Vietnam. 

I can get several specialty license plates, but I just went with the Meritorious Service Medal (x2), rather than OIF. Nobody cares about what anybody did in OIF anymore, and I had plenty of messed up, and at least one dead patient because of it. What was the point?

I'm having nursing nightmares most nights. I'm tired of it, but I don't see a solution to end them. I'm SO glad I don't have to endure that stress anymore, at least while I'm awake!

I still see an occasional OIF license plate here.  They don't have a US Merchant Marine plate, that I know of, so I'm out.

Have you tried Imagery Reversal Therapy?  Looks easy enough to do yourself:

https://www.verywellmind.com/imagery-rehearsal-therapy-2797304

Also, the BP medicine prazosin is said to help with PTSD related nightmares.  You might ask your doctor for it. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK555959/#:~:text=Prazosin is a medication used,as a competitive alpha1-antagonist.

I hadn't heard of that therapy; I'll look it up. Doc asked if I wanted to see the psychologist, but one of their female psychologists and I publicly fought over her alphabet people advocacy and propaganda. I've seen more dead people than I can number. I hated tagging and wrapping dead bodies in plastic; it just didn't seem right. 

Doc talked about changing BP med to help with that, but she didn't order it. I only see her every 6 months to a year.

SC has a whole bunch of different license plates, I'm guessing more than any other state. They might have Merchant Marine.

We figured the NVA were good..till an old Gunny told us that the NVA were"not a pimple on a dead Jap's ass" We kept  the respect but lost our fear of them

karl

There’s a mountain of lessons from the book on the early Church. I need further study on the early church fathers. A hundred bunny trails. 
The battles with what were lumped together as Gnostic cults are new to me. Really destructive beliefs. Very similar to Scientology and Christian Science. I was horrified to see that when I looked up Valentines/Valentinius Gnosticism, that there’s a lot of videos defending, promoting, or going soft on Gnosticism. Theres even Gnostic Masses happening today! The father of this occult renewal was Aleister Crawley. I’d never heard of OTO. Watching this young woman, I can really see her as being demon possessed! https://youtu.be/OgoprtlEX7Q?si=oxVPkQMB8YlGDrbe

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reading another Vietnam sniper book:

Dear Mom: A Snipers Vietnam by Joseph T. Ward

A Marine sniper.  Usual start out before boot camp, boot camp, extra training (Sniper,) then on to 'Nam.  One thing that is different in this book is that he describes things that other authors don't.  Friendly villages being shelled, just because, orders to shoot civilians (ignored,) pot smoking, etc.  All the things they always told us were done wrong in 'Nam.  Not that that is the focus of the book, these things are just mentioned in the daily history he gives.  It's an interesting read.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished

Seal Team Six- Memoirs of an Elite Navy Seal Sniper by Howard E Waskin and Stephen Templin

Waskin was a SEAL sniper and at Mogadishu during the Black Hawk Down incident.  This book is his life story including Mogadishu.  After getting a medical discharge for the combat wounds he got at Mogadishu, he went on to become a chiropractor and start a clinic in Georgia.  I looked him up and he passed almost exactly a year ago.  He was the same age as me.