Military Firearm Restoration Corner

BUBBA SPECIALS

AzRednek

I really learned a lesson about getting out of bed early. Had I been a few minutes earlier at a yard sale I would have beat the guy that got a Ruger 44 mag auto rifle, Browning 12 ga auto and a Remington 788 w/scope in 243 all for $250!! He also had a couple of Mexican leather gun cases, don’t know if that was included in the deal or not. When I asked the lucky guy if he wanted to make a quick hundred just pissed him off and he ended the conversation. I got bloody seconds buy still got a deal for $70.00. I got a BRNO still in the cosmoline, 6.5 Carcano missing front band and bayonet lug parts but shootable and a Bubba on drugs incomplete Arisaka project. Thirty for the BRNO and twenty each for the Carcano and the pathetic jap. I passed on the unknown brand single shot 12 ga completely sprayed with aluminum paint for 10 bucks. According to his daughter, Bubba is in a hospice and has Alzheimer disease. They found some pistols including a Luger, bayonets, knives and some Nazi souvenirs in his attic but don’t want to sell them. I left my card, hopefully they will need some money and call.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

That is glass not rust on the action!!

user posted image

The Jap rifle is almost laughable, this guy must have been doing some heavy duty drugs when he glass bedded it. The glass is smeared all over the stock, sights and action. The barrel channel is a sloppy uneven mess. The long Mannilicher type stock looks like walnut but it will take a couple pounds of sandpaper and needs a trigger guard assembly. The crest is there but it has sights added so it is not a restoration project.

user posted image

I wonder, what was going throough his mind when he cut the bolt channel. The dark build-up is more smeared glass.

Only in Arizona could you find a yard sale like that. There must not be a local gunshop that advertises he wants to buy any firearms that are in an estate, etc.

While you got seconds, you still made out like a bandito.

fritz

Fly don't want to sell it yet. I already left a message to a Jap collector I know. He might give me more than it is worth in trade because of the virginal crest. He restored a Jap sporter for me several years ago to what at least appears to be original. I'll post a picture later.

Fritz, living in the 5th largest city in the country, Phoenix, there are plenty of places they could have sold the guns. I usually have 2-3 lucky gun finds a year yard sale shopping. I always ask at every yard sale if they are selling guns, tools or Coleman lanterns. Every now and then somebody will pull something out of the closet, especially if they are desperate for money. Occasionally they might remember some ammo or reloading goods they have. In my previous life with my cop ex-wife, I had to turn one gun over to the police because it was hot. I would have the X run the numbers on anything I found. I got a small claims judgement against the seller but was never able to collect.

If ypu live in a large city, try it and don't get discouraged they're out there. Gotta get up early though on weekends. My former brother-in-law makes a good living working yard, estate and flea market sales. He knows collectables from toys to cameras and re-sells it mostly on Ebay. He also hunts down vintage items and antiques for a Hollywood co that contracts with movie and tv studios that might need something like a teapot or fixures for a 1950's kitchen. The best gun deal he got I'm aware of, was a German drilling in a felt lined, alligator skined hard case, he paid a whopping $250 for it. The rifle was small change compared to the box full of WW1 vintage aircraft gauges he found at the same sale. Phoenix is adjacent to Sun City, the largest retirement community in the country, although there is alot of competition amongst buyers I've landed some real deals and made a few bucks re-selling it on Ebay. Unfortunatly for me there are two companys that get leads from morturarys and set up estate sales. They are aware of what things are worth and send all guns, reloading equipment and fishing gear to a pawnbroker that sells on consigment either in his shop or on one of the auction sites.

I know this belongs in the restoration group but I started it here so I'll finish it here. This Jap rifle I aquired about 20 years ago as a sporter. It has a ground crest but it appears to be early production with the chrome lined bore. When I was in business and had a FFL I ordered at cost for a friend, a Jap collector. As a favor he put it together for me with parts he had restoring it to military configuration. It's been several years since I shot it. Using ammo made from formed Canadian 30/06 blanks the shot to shot accuracy was incredible. Can't recall the fps but it cronyed slightly faster with Norma ammo as my friend's 7.62 M1-A shooting reloads, my reloads a bit slower but much more accurate.

user posted image

The dust cover and cleaning rod are reproductions made in India or Indonesia.

user posted image

user posted image

The sling is Chinese, made in the 50 or 60's. China made slings and other parts for captured Jap rifles after the war. I bought it at a gunshow believing it was Japanese and paid way to much. I found out from a Jap co-worker a few years later I was mis-lead after I asked him to translate. The original Jap canvas slings were coated with rubber and I should have known better. The Jap leather slings are rare, pricey and usually rotton from jungle humidity.

user posted image

The metal was untouched except for the missing aircraft sight ears I got at a gunshow for a few bucks. The ears were blued with touch up and matched the original color pretty close.

user posted image

I showed it off about a month ago along with other military guns to a teenage neighbor and his girlfriend, I didn't tell the truth about it. Guess I could pass it off and sell it as original but I like sleeping at night, think I'll keep it.

• 5 months later...
Fly it was apx 20 years ago the repro covers and cleaning rods hit the market via Shotgun News. If the blueing is near perfect I would be suspect.

585[/snapback]

Look on the rear turned down edge of the dust cover - an original on will have three digits of the serial number of the rifle it went on. If no numbers are present it is a repo.

Look at the grooves on your rifle and see if you can see any bright spots. If there are no rub marks most likely it left the factory without one. riceone.