Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Have some ? about the Parker Hale receivers

milsurpcollector

For you guys that have worked with the P-H receivers that numrich is selling. I have some questions

Does a standard milsurp m98 bolt work in them?

What type of stock, can I use standard military?

Do they use the standard commercial m98 scope base (for non military mausers)

Are these worth $90

Do other military parts fit them ie trigger guard, trigger guard screws bolt release etc.

Thanks in advance

milsurpcollector,I've put off posting this hoping youd get the help you were looking for but ...Awhile back ,maybe as long as a couple years ago when the forum was still at Ezboard this subject was disscussed at length and folks posted pictures etc...,I was interested in these actions at that time myself.It has been so long now that I dont remember any of the details but I do remember that the fly in the ointment was the bolt but I cant recall just what about the bolt it was ,but it was a big enough deal that for me and my limited expereince that I decided to steer clear of them .Sorry I cant be of more help, Jim .

[attachmentid=33]

A standard 98 bolt should work....................with the guide rib. I am using a PH/SB bolt in my sporterized 98/22 Mauser. It works like a champ.

If you look real close at the rear recevier bridge in the photo, you can just make out the dark spot which is the cut for the guide rib.

[attachmentid=34]

Here is a better photo, and you can defiantely see the guide rib on the bolt.

post-13-1140049630_thumb.jpg

post-13-1140049910_thumb.jpg

My 2 cents worth might be a little late here, but I bought a receiver from Gibbs a few years ago that I believe (from what I heard later) was a Santa Barbara Mauser that Gibbs obtained when they bought out Parker Hale stock. It has the channel for the guide rib, and can be used with a milsurp bolt. However, the bolt that came with it was of the variety pictured with the additional material on the left lug, no split on the lug, no firing pin hole, and not heat treated. It would have cost me far more to make it serviceable that it would to have a new handle welded to a milsurp, so I unloaded it with lots of cautions and disclaimers in the ad.

I actually have to qualify my earlier "yes" to the scope bases question, these will work with scope bases made for the Parker Hale recievers, but the squared rear bridge means that a commercial FN base won't work. A two piece setup might be easiest to acquire.

Jimro