Military Firearm Restoration Corner

need some advice on fixin scope mounting holes in receiver

milsurpcollector

I have a 1903A3 receiver that someone has drilled and tapped for a redfield 1 piece mount. This is the old style with only 2 holes.

The holes do not line up with the holes in the scope base so I need to redrill the rear one.

Can I plug the hole with a screw, cut it off, sand it smooth and just redrill?

I have never tried it before.

I also need to lower the rear of the scope base but I dont have access to a Mill to do it.

On the 03A3 scope base the rear has a dove tail that the mount for the rear sight fits in. The dovetail is about .030 too shallow

I dont want to try and file or grind this area out because I dont this it would look very nice anyone have any tips for that.

Thanks again

This worked for me really well, Drill the holes larger and tap so a 1/4 machine screw will fit. heat the srcew red and let cool, thread it in until it is flush on the bottom, cut it off as close to the receiver as possible . Use a hammer and punch to peen over the screw. use the dremel to grind smooth and polish. Then just drill and tap for your base. This repair isn't totally invisible but you need to look close to find it after its blued.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Guest Limpid Lizard

If t he only problem with the holes is that they do not match the receiver, modify the base. The base is cheaper and easier to replace if you make a mistake. The first rule of gunsmithing is: always modify the cheapest most expendable part that you can get away with modifying.

If you cannot take .030 from the base neatly with a file, you probably have no business trying to modify the receiver. LL

If t he only problem with the holes is that they do not match the receiver, modify the base. The base is cheaper and easier to replace if you make a mistake. The first rule of gunsmithing is: always modify the cheapest most expendable part that you can get away with modifying.

If you cannot take .030 from the base neatly with a file, you probably have no business trying to modify the receiver. LL

Your probably right, but I did it anyway. I was able to file the dovetail to the the base fit and strangely when it did that the mounting holes lined up. I used Dykem to keep track of where I needed to file.

I am taking a half way sporterized 1903A3 and modifying it to a 190a4 configuration. This will not be a true A4 because the original scope was really crappy.

To see what i am starting with go here

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=42393669

I still need to fix the bolt, buy a new safety, and inlet the stock I bought for it. Original C stocks sell for $$$$ so I decided to use the scant stock i got off ebay. The bottom pic is a real sniper bolt. I have a oxy/acetelyene rig but I am not sure I have enough material on the bolt

post-132-1140200953_thumb.jpg

Guest Limpid Lizard

I'm interested, but would like to know how the inletting looks around the trigger guard and rear of the tang. Can you post a pic of those areas? I'd be using it on an 03.

Couple of pics of my other 03 bought with off center holes and how I tackled the problem. Shop built jig and bases.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest Limpid Lizard

Sorry about the extra post. Any cracks or other damage to your stock? The portion of the inletting I could see looks okay. Any problems I cannot see with the inletting? LOP, how long is it. I will email you also, just don't want you to pull this if I cannot use it.

Do you need a stock Springfield safety? I have one or two around here. LL