Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Re-lining Rifle Barrel

riceone

Some months back I posted about re-lining a 30-30 to 25-35 and some gentleman who post here offered to do it for me for a price. If he is reading this please email me at riceone@bellsouth.net. Thanks, riceone.

Thanks, I talked to a guy in state of Washington who will do it for around $250. think I will send it to him. There is a little more to it than I though - some work has to be done on the feed rails. They can also bore out to 38/55 if anyone is intersted.

Asmart I don't know alot about relining but if you're looking for a low cost alternative to rebarreling it is not the way to go. It will cost more than having the barrel replaced. Finding a gunsmith willing to do it will prove difficult with the exception of the 22 rimfires. It is a good way however to keep an older low powered rifle historically correct with it's original barrel and markings and still be able to shoot it but its not cheap. I know somebody that had it done on an old Stevens Crackshot because he wanted to preserve the barrel that had his Grandfather's initials stamped in it. As I mentioned in the previous post McGowen will do it if it is practical, you may want to call them for details and calibers he will do. 815 937 9816. ask for Harry, he's hard of hearing but pretty sharp on older rifles.

Guest Guest_riceone

The name of the place is over at the shop, I don't have it here. But I asked the man about replacing the barrel and he said it would cost much more. The reason may be that to put a new barrel on a Model94 would be costly because of duplicating an original barrel. I want a 94 chamber in 25/35. I read last year that wincheter was bringing back the 94 in 25/35 in January of 2005 but here it is July and I see no signs of it.

AzRednek is right, most relining is done to keep the old shell of the barrel intact.

riceone.