Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Have some ?'s about brownells bake on finishes

I have used brownells baking lauqer and and telflon baking coating .

I sand blast the metal using silica sand then I degrease using a sovent and then wash in soap and water

I pre heat parts in oven or toaster over for small parts.

I try to spray about 3 coats they i bake for an hour @ 400 deg

My question is...

I still get areas where the finish chips off. these are high wear areas like the bolt or when I install a claw extractor on the mauser. is this normal what if anything can be done

With Teflon/Moly, I do not think it is possible to completely avoid chips and wear, however, most of the chipping I have experienced has been within a day or so of removing the items from the oven. I have found that a 3-4 day cure after baking greatly reduces the amount of chipping on Teflon/Moly.

I have switched to Gun Kote and prefer it. That is just a preference, and I could easily see where someone else might prefer the Teflon/Moly from Brownells.

MEK, TEC, or acetone might be better than soap and water for a final cleaning. You might be getting soap residue

I have not used baking laquer. LL

First off, 400 degrees is too hot. If you read the instructions it says 300 degrees for 30 minutes, or 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Do not exceed 350 degrees, or finish will discolor.

Second, do you coat the entire bolt with the stuff? I only blast the bolt handle (while the rest of the bolt is wrapped in masking tape). Only the bolt handle gets coated, the rest is polished highly. The shroud is blasted and coated, but not the cocking piece (again only polished).

It is only natural for the moving of the bolt in the receiver will wear, or chip off, some of the lacquer. Maybe with Teflon coatings it's ok, but not with lacquer.

And lastly, don't use soap and water. Use acetone after blasting, and then heat the parts with a hot air gun (hairdryer). I use 2-3 coatings (very sparingly) and have never had any problems. All of mine turn out so hard the cat can't scratch them.

And wait a couple days before using the gun. Maybe the stuff needs a bit of additional curing, just as hot bluing does.

fritz

thanks for the replies,

fritz I use the high temp because I had a Fal receiver that I coated and baked at 350 and the finish scraped off with my fingernail.

I use the matte black or dark park color so I dont care if it gets darker.

I am not sure if the higher temp makes the finish more susceptible to chipping.

I coat the entire bolt on some of the guns I have done. I dont expect the coating to last on the lugs but the body of the bolt has chipping problems too.

I was using brake cleaner to degrease after soap and water, but I was worried about residue from that too.