Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My 1903A4 Improved project+ stock question

[attachmentid=45]Here are some pics.

Im not quite done yet, I am waiting on a scope. Its improved because the original A4's had a Weaver 330 2.5x as the scope. Its the kind of scope that you might see on a Daisy pellet gun. The rings are the correct type just the larger 1'' diameter.

I am waiting for a Lyman All American 4x scope.

I painted the gun using brownells baking laquer. I did the bolt in matte black and the receiver and barrel in Olive drab.

I know the gun is not "correct" but I dont have the cash for that. Its similar though and will have a better scope than the original.

Does anyone know with a gun that stocked almost all the way to the muzzle, is free floating the barrel a good idea. It seems like theres a lot of pressure on the barreled action.

When I worked on the stock, I scraped it instead of sanding, something I learned here. It still has a greenish tint to the wood. Not the prettiest stock I have ever seen.

I have a new barrel but the cut down one thats on it now is almost new.

[attachmentid=46]my stock before refinishing

More pics[attachmentid=47]

the scope base is new from brownells. Redfiled still makes the 1 piece A4 base with the correct hole spacing although its not exactly like the original.[attachmentid=48]

This is the sporter at the gunshop[attachmentid=49]

post-132-1140943994_thumb.jpg

post-132-1140944162_thumb.jpg

post-132-1140944440_thumb.jpg

post-132-1140944645_thumb.jpg

post-132-1140944710_thumb.jpg

milsurpcollector,

I think you did a fine job and would be proud to own this if it were mine. It is always nice to see rifles that have been returned to "original" configuration in lieu of what most of do in terms of "improving" them.

Good luck with finishing this rifle out and may she shoot as good as she looks!

Jason

It has been my experience that free floating that type of barrel'stock combo is not a good idea. I full length bed them and have had very good results.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jim

[attachmentid=45]Here are some pics.

Im not quite done yet, I am waiting on a scope. Its improved because the original A4's had a Weaver 330 2.5x as the scope. Its the kind of scope that you might see on a Daisy pellet gun. The rings are the correct type just the larger 1'' diameter.

I am waiting for a Lyman All American 4x scope.

I painted the gun using brownells baking laquer. I did the bolt in matte black and the receiver and barrel in Olive drab.

I know the gun is not "correct" but I dont have the cash for that. Its similar though and will have a better scope than the original.

Does anyone know with a gun that stocked almost all the way to the muzzle, is free floating the barrel a good idea. It seems like theres a lot of pressure on the barreled action.

When I worked on the stock, I scraped it instead of sanding, something I learned here. It still has a greenish tint to the wood. Not the prettiest stock I have ever seen.

I have a new barrel but the cut down one thats on it now is almost new.

[attachmentid=46]my stock before refinishing

More pics[attachmentid=47]

the scope base is new from brownells. Redfiled still makes the 1 piece A4 base with the correct hole spacing although its not exactly like the original.[attachmentid=48]

This is the sporter at the gunshop[attachmentid=49]

Guest Jim

Great job! Notice you have a nice 'S' proofed stock--OD finish looks a lot like the desirable "green" park we all long for. Hope you got the scope on all right--looks like you have to take the bell off )split rings-lose nitrogen??). To echo above, would be proud to own your rifle!