Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Scope Mount Jigs

TLynn

Doc Forester

(6/3/05 23:06)

Reply Scope Mount Jigs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to decide to buy a scope mount jig or use the method Mr. Wagner describes on his site. I like the simplicity of Wagner's method but I could not use weaver bases should I so choose. So I might buy a jig. The Wheeler jig is the least expensive. Is there any reason you must remove the barrel before using the Wheeler jig? Could I not drill just deep enough to use a bottoming tap in the front reciever ring? Will the fixture not fit into the action with the barrel in place? I know there is the danger of contacting the barrel threads but I am not planning on removing the barrels after I have the actions tapped.

If I do use Wagner's technique which one piece bases will clear the charging hump without filing the hump down?

z1r

(6/3/05 23:20)

Reply Re: Scope Mount Jigs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doc,

All the major brands make two different 1 pc bases. One for the FN (sans hump) and one for the 98. I used the Leupold.

Most if not all the jigs are designed to be used with the barrel off so you can drill straight through. They will not fit with the barrel on unless you modify them. They probably designed it that way for liability issues. Some of the folks here have modified theirs and can tell you how.

Odies dad

(6/6/05 9:15)

Re: Scope Mount Jigs

You can use Steve's method with the Weaver bases too. I do mine that way. You may not be able to interchange with a one piece base later but it is fine for the one you intall. Leave enough room on the rear of the front ring so you son't drill and tap into the bolt lug boss area.

Liberals are the only known species whose powers of reasoning are not improved by the benefit of hindsight.

• 3 months later...

Can you drill without removing the barrel? Bad idea. I had a dopey gunsmith that drilled clear through; he was supposedly experienced. He tried to hide it. If he screwed up, you probably will too. Do it the right way.

I use the Wheeler Jig, It works great.

I do not remove my barrels. To use the Jig with the barrel on you will have to grind a little off the end of the rod that goes into the receiver, this is easiely done but go slow and measure, I can post a pic for you if you need, let me know.

I set the jig up in my table top drill press, with the barreled action.

You can start the holes with the standard bit, then switch to a botteming bit.

Basicly a bit with a flat tip, you can take a standard bit an grind the tip off.

Use cobalt bit's, Not high speed bits. The high speed bits are to soft and you stand a chance of braking a bit in the receiver.

Measure your depth and go slow.

I beleive the Lupy or Redfeild one peice bases are the best, No Mod required.