Military Firearm Restoration Corner

ammo serializing in California

FC

Hey Fritz,

No there are no fire ants here. Now, I am not claiming to know the entire state of AR, but there are none up here in NW AR. I believe it is too cold for them in the winter. We do have ticks, though. And about the toughest fleas I have ever seen. Make TX fleas look like fleas. Yeah, Uncle Bill is from here, but he don't live here any more, does he?

user posted image

They actually used to have "home of" signs at the border, but after he finally left office, they took them all down. I think the constant replacement cost was too much. Darn things just kept getting ventilated.

Dr.Hess

Dr. Hess My Wife and went to Arkansas about 8 years ago. We loved the place pretty state. When we were driving around we passed a sign of a town that stated something to the effect of "The first home of Bill and Hillary Clinton" It had been properly ventilated. biggrin.gif We often toss around the idea of buying land in Ark. maybe to retire to etc.

Tom

Hey Tom,

That probably was Fayetteville. That "first home" is about 6 miles from me. It recently sold and they are going to make a museum or something. Unless there is another "first home" in another town. You know how that goes.

It is a very pretty state. We took a motorcycle ride east of here last weekend though Madison County, and it is as pretty as anywhere in the country. People are a bit strange, but there is no place like Texas for friendlyness. Of course, as in most of rural America now, the meth problem is pretty bad. Almost had to cap one hopped up on meth and whiskey a few weeks ago on my dirt road. Fortunately he got out of the way long enough for me to make a hastey exit. I really didn't want the paperwork. I guess every place has its advantages and disadvantages.

Dr.Hess

Yes it must have been Fayetteville. We were in Rogers. Went with my Father inlaw. We went to paint the house of an elderly couple that were like parents to him.

Yes Texans are very friendly. Everyone we met in Arkansas was friendly too. We plan to go back, now that we live so close to there.

Tom

Never been to Mammoth Spring. Henderson is probably about the closest I have been to it. I'm in the NW corner. From work, it is actually closer to drive to Missouri to get beer. Really, the further east you go, the prettier and wierder it gets.

I haven't seen that "first home" sign in quite a while now. They may have finally given up on it or maybe I have just tuned it out. I wouldn't be surprised if Uncle Bill hadn't pushed the AR highway dept. some bucks to put up all the "home of" signs. When W came in, the funding to keep replacing them probably dried up. Uncle Bill dumped millions in the state to prop up his home base support. I don't know the exact economics, but I suspect there was some kind of goverment backing on chicken coop construction, and I know he built one of the finest medical complexes in the world in Little Rock, including a world class neurosurgery center with the top names in the world there. Yassergil is to neurosurgery like Sam Colt is to handguns. You wouldn't think someone like that would be in Arkansas.

Dr.Hess

My first advice to anyone wanting to move. Is to start to thin out unwanted items now. Have yard sales, charities etc. makes it MUCH easier for the big day.

Copy that!

That is the very bit of advice that you offered just after your move to TX that I consider every single time I pack up a box for donation, or even for relocation to someplace else in the house...I have no idea what your voice sounds like in real life, ShooterTom, but that's the voice I must be hearing, cracking the verbal whip! LOL!

A year or two ago I was practically kicking myself thinking that I was going to need to hire a bigger truck to move my possessions when the time came for me to move, but now, I am thinking that by the time I get stuff packed up, sorted out, donated, sold, etc., I may be no worse off than when I moved down here in the first place...if I do it right, there may even be far fewer items to take with me!

Thanks for that advice so far, ShooterTom, it's so simple to understand, but I think that most people hit a snag in implementation, don't you?

LOL, I didn't remember that I had told you that. It is my Mantra to anyone planning a move. Also it is good if you can pack your belongings. When we moved. My Wifes company paid for the movers to come in and pack our house.

While they did not break anything and seemed professional about it. I didn't like strangers touching all our things.

Tom